DNS problems after changing IP

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sheshes, Jul 19, 2012.

1. sheshes

sheshes Member

Hi guys, my ISP changed my static IP and was forced to change all my DNS site to the new one. Everything was working fine when today they changed the IP again back to the old one.

I have made all the changes again for all the domains but some domains although the IP is changed in ISPconfig 3 DNS panel they return the old IP when pinged.

I have tried reloading, restarting and stop/start MyDNS as well as resynced all services using the Tools in ISPConfig 3. I have also rebooted the system and deleted the DNS and then resetting them up again using the wizard.

Still some domains are not getting the correct IP and I can't figure out why.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Sir Henry

Sir Henry Member

Depending on the DNS settings it may take some time until the new IP address is returned by all DNS servers. A common value is 24 hours.

3. sheshes

sheshes Member

I am pretty sure that this applies on hosting services, when you run your own dns services it should update immediately

4. Sir Henry

Sir Henry Member

No, even then the DNS is cached by clients and not refreshed before it expires. Your client does not care where the DNS sits.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  5. sheshes

sheshes Member

so if i decrease the number of TTL it should load faster?

6. Sir Henry

Sir Henry Member

Sure but obviously this needs to be set early enough for the clients to be picked up.

But anyway a fixed IP should not change, that's why it's called fixed. If your provider keeps changing the IP then you should go for some dynamic DNS service. They use TTLs of typically 60 seconds.