DNS Problem

Discussion in 'General' started by Rotty, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Rotty

Rotty New Member

I have a problem with DNS.
    Test 1:
    When i execute: nslookup mydomain.com the server respond, but when i execute: google.com server respond ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached.
    Test 2:
    Whe i send a mail with user in the same domain (mydomain.com), ISPConfig send email ok.But when i send with user resgiter in ISPConfig for (example) [email protected] the server not send email.The log of mail.log say this: type MX: Host not found,try again.

Somebody knows that it happens?.
  2. martinfst

martinfst ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Looks like you have not set your DNS forwarders. Which means you have a local DNS server that does not look at upstream DNS servers when required. Depends a bit on how you have setup your server, but adding
    options {
            forwarders {
                    IP address1 of DNS server of your ISP;
                    IP address2 of DNS server of your ISP;
    might help. Beware, there are multiple locations you can put these lines (I've put them in /etc/bind/named.conf.options) and there are alternative soltutions also. You need to test. Try to get the
    nslookup google.com
    to work before trying to solve your mail problems.
  3. Rotty

Rotty New Member

Thanks to respond to me,
    I have done what you said to me, I´ve including the forwarders into named.conf.local, then i reboot the server.
    When server boot again i did this: nslookup google.com and i obtain the same message connection timed out; no servers could be reached.

This is my configuration:
    nameserver << The IP of ISPConfig
    gateway << IP of Gateway
  4. martinfst

martinfst ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

There's no need to reboot a *nix server when you change options or even when you install a new or updated program. A restart of that specific program will do. To restart the name server
    /etc/init.d/bind restart
    Look in the log files to see if you have some errors. Log files can be found in /var/log. It depends a bit which distribution you use where to look. For Ubuntu it's /var/log/daemon, but /var/log/messages could also contain error messages. I assume you have entered the real IP numbers of your ISP's DNS servers.
  5. Rotty

Rotty New Member

Ok, i install webmin in ISPConfig.
    I configure in Servers > DNS BIND Server the fordwars to DNS-Servers.
    Now i can send a icmp-packet (ping) and resolv it.But the problem is the following one:
    The Mail.log say this:
    connect to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[]: Connection timed out (port 25)
    What happend?.
  6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer