DNS Issue

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by nightdude, Nov 16, 2007.

  1. nightdude

    nightdude New Member

    I know I've seen this addressed before, cant seem to find it today.
    On occasion, my DNS service will just stop. Has always easily restarted - until yesterday.
    I tried to restart with ISPConfig, no start.
    Logged into server, and try to start, this is what I get..

    [***@** ~]# /etc/init.d/named start
    Starting named:
    Error in named configuration:
    /etc/named.conf:3: change directory to '/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web/multidoc/edit' failed: file not found

    /etc/named.conf:3: parsing failed
    [FAILED]
    [***@*** ~]# /etc/init.d/named stop
    Stopping named: [FAILED]
    [***@*** ~]# /etc/init.d/named restart
    Stopping named: [FAILED]
    Starting named:
    Error in named configuration:
    /etc/named.conf:3: change directory to '/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web/multidoc/edit' failed: file not found

    /etc/named.conf:3: parsing failed
    [FAILED]

    No changes were made, no new sites or anything.
    All the websites still come up, albeit, with much slower access to them.

    Where do I need to look??

    The machine is 64 bit, CentOS5, set up with the perfect setup, and has been operational since late July, early August.

    Thanks. :eek:
     
  2. nightdude

    nightdude New Member

    Figured It Out!!

    Thanks to these links:

    http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15145

    and

    falko gave me the solution here :
    http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...t=11207&page=3

    Here's what happened.
    CentOS updated DNS on Tuesday (I didn't redo permissions after upgrade - should have according to messages - never occured to me. What do you expect from a relative newbie to this :) ). I added a new site on Wednesday, DNS down on Thursday.

    Had to change the zone files pointer in ISPConfig to /var/named/chroot/var/named and changed the line in named.config file to read the same.

    Still received error on start, so manually deleted the new site in the named.config file, and deleted in ISPConfig and
    All is now Great Again!!

    Thanks be to the forums!! and of course the software developers!!!
     

Share This Page