DNS expert needed :)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by stigge2000, Mar 30, 2011.

1. stigge2000

stigge2000 Member

Friendly greetings readers and problem solvers!

I have spend 2 days trying to figure out my DNS setting in ISPCONFIG / BIND9, here's my problem:

I have 1 domain registered... let's call it mydomain.com (for a change),
    i have been in contact with the place where i bought the domain and asked them to set it up on their end for my NS... so they have GLUED my record and pointed NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM and NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM to a dedicated server with a static IP.
    This is where it gets confusing... what BIND9 config files do i need to setup, and how?
    And what about PTR and NS records in ISPCONFIG?

All I'm trying to do is have my own NS server to serve all my domains that i have on the same server, but the "other" domains i try to reach that use ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com does not work.

i did "dig @localhost" for both ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com and mydomain.com and i think it looks ok, but when i use some DNSREPORT tools on the web i get all kind of strange errors.. Grrr... plz help!

Stigge2000 :)
  2. Toucan

Toucan New Member

3. stigge2000

stigge2000 Member

Thanks for your answer and link, but I have a couple of more questions...

what about "/var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf"? should i create it?
    and can/should I give each nsX.mydomain.com its own zone?

when i run a online DNS report tool, it says:

Thankies in advance :)

and just to be sure... IF i one late night after a couple of bottles of wine logged on as "root" and made some changes to some bind9 files... where would these files be located and what would they be named?... just curious.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Did you create A records for ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com?

Did you create NS records for ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com in the zones that these two are authoritative for?

You can use ISPConfig's DNS Wizard to create zones (recommended). This will also create all needed files.