DNS entries on Amazon EC2 Ubuntu 11.1

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mjnet, Nov 13, 2011.

1. mjnet

mjnet New Member

Hi there!

I used the Multiserver Tutorial for my Amazon Environment (Ubuntu 11.1). Now got some DNS trouble.

In my opinion the bind services can not do any entries in named.conf-files with ispconfig.

Check out jobqueue:
    Code:
    2011-11-13 21:08 	ns1.codag.net 	Update 	dns_rr 	
    2011-11-13 21:08 	ns1.codag.net 	Update 	dns_soa 	
    2011-11-13 21:06 	ns1.codag.net 	Update 	dns_rr 	
    2011-11-13 21:06 	ns1.codag.net 	Update 	dns_soa

I added 2 dns zones "codag.net" and another one. Entries in db tables are ok!
    But in /etc/bind are just following files:
    Code:
    bind.keys                 db.255                    db.root                   named.conf.local          slave/                                        
    db.0                      db.empty                  named.conf                named.conf.options        zones.rfc1918                                 
    db.127                    db.local                  named.conf.default-zones  rndc.key

And as you can see in named.conf.options
    Code:
      Graph this data and manage this system at https://landscape.canonical.com/                                                                          
    options {
            directory "/var/cache/bind";

// If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
            // to talk to, you may need to fix the firewall to allow multiple        // ports to talk.  See http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/800113

// If your ISP provided one or more IP addresses for stable
            // nameservers, you probably want to use them as forwarders.
            // Uncomment the following block, and insert the addresses replacing
            // the all-0's placeholder.

// forwarders {
            //      0.0.0.0;
            // };
            auth-nxdomain no;    # conform to RFC1035
            listen-on-v6 { any; };
    };

That can't be right!?

Seems like there couldn't be made any zone-files?!
    Does anybody had allready the same problem?

Thank you for help!
    Marc

2. mjnet

mjnet New Member

here the printscreent from my records
    Bildschirmfoto 2011-11-13 um 23.08.54.png

ns1.codag.net -> *.*.173.157

ping codag.net -> *.*.173.157 :mad:
    ping web.codag.net -> *.*.173.157 :mad:

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please check if your ISPConfig server is authoritative for your domain. You can find that out by running
    Code:
    dig ns yourdomain.com

4. mjnet

mjnet New Member

As you can see, entries are set:
    Code:
    mb0:~ Marc$ dig ns codag.net

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3-P3 <<>> ns codag.net
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 43713
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;codag.net.                     IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    codag.net.              86367   IN      NS      ns2.codag.net.
    codag.net.              86367   IN      NS      ns1.codag.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns1.codag.net.          86367   IN      A       107.22.173.157
    ns2.codag.net.          86367   IN      A       107.22.173.157

;; Query time: 15 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.168.0.1#53(192.168.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Nov 14 20:41:01 2011
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 95

At the moment i use just 1 dns server. -> 107.22.173.157

This problem should be ok now. But the main problem is still "alive". Jobqueue is still full and dns couldn't be done in /etc/bind...

5. mjnet

mjnet New Member

Thanks for help so far! but does anybody have further ideas?..

Are there any specific system rights to be customize? setted up servers couple of times!

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Most likely a problem with mysql permissions. Have you set the IP addresses and FQDN hostnames as described in the multiserver tutorial in the /etc/hosts files of all servers that belong to the cluster? Setting them in dns is not sufficient as mysql authentication will fail then.

7. mjnet

mjnet New Member

hi till
    yes i've set fqdn and ip's like it's described in tutorial.

But of corse I should try connection from dns to db. Can you tell me how i can see the way the dns connects to the db-server? i there a specific ispconfig config-file?

8. till

You can find the login details for the master database in the file /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php (dont mix up with local login details which are in the same file) on the slave server.

Use this login details to connect from the slave to the master with the mysql command. example:

mysql -h masterhostname -u ispmasteruser -p ispmasterdbname

9. mjnet

mjnet New Member

unfortunately i dont have ssh access from my office.
    but as you can in phpmyadmin dns_rr entries are set:
    dnsrr.jpg

can we say thats a certificate that dns->db works? or can we just say master(web)->db works?
    it doesnt make sense when we think to the update dns_rr jobqueue entry :S

10. till

Is this the databse of the slave or the master? If thats the local mysql DN on the slave, then this means that the mysql connection works. if its the master db, then this does not indicate anything for the slave.

11. mjnet

mjnet New Member

Ah, i'm sorry for missing info!
    I'm not sure if i understand what you mean with master/slave...does it mean ispconfig 1xmaster + 3x slave? like my configuration:
    .162.214 -> www.codag.net -> master
    .173.115 -> mail... -> slave
    .173.157 -> ns1+2...->slave
    .173.xxx ->db...->slave

considering to *.*.162.214/phpmyadmin which is the web-server who's the master (if i understand you correctly), then this is must be master database because phpmyadmin is shows server as localhost.

12. till

Yes.

Yes.

You should test the connection on the shell when you have shell login again.

13. mjnet

mjnet New Member

Till, thank you so much! This was the issue! :D

In "/usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php" User ispcsrv4 was entered with a hash password!! which dindn't work with mysql -h masterhostname -u ispmasteruser -p ispmasterdbname. So I tried user "root" and password i've set in installation and it worked!

changing the password of ispcsrv4 in phpmyadmin neither worked - most possible beause of global rights are set to "usage".

how can i fix that?, the other way is using root on every server.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  14. till

Please undo that, you just opened a huge security hole in your cluster. With your changes, a hacker that get access to a single node can now take over all servers of your cluster. Never store the root password of the master server on any of the slave servers.

The password in that file was the cleartext password, it was not a hash. Please restore the original password as it was in that file.

The problem you describe happens when the hostnames in /etc/hosts are not set correctly on all nodes. Please set the hostnames exactly as decsribed in the multiserver guide in /etc/hosts, e.g.

192.168.0.111 web.yourserver.tld

and not

192.168.0.111 web.yourserver.tld web

on all nodes incl. the master server. It is not enough that the hostnames are registered in DNS, the hosts entrys are still required.

Afterwards run a ispconfig update on every slave and choose to reconfigure permissions in the master database when the updater asks you.

15. mjnet

mjnet New Member

hooly! i allways made 2 spaces beween ip and hostname!!

will never do that again! :mad:

thank you so much for helping!

16. till

That should not make a difference. You can have one or more spaces or tabs between IP and hostname. The difference is that the second example defines two hostnames for the IP (web.yourserver.tld and web) which can confuse mysql, so the right way for this setup is to define only the fqdn like this:

192.168.0.111 web.yourserver.tld