Deleting unwanted client website backups

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by cbj4074, Sep 30, 2013.

1. cbj4074

cbj4074 Member

This seems like somewhat of a basic question, but I can't find any information about this.

After enabling the new backup feature for a client website, I would like to disable it and delete the existing backups to free-up disk space.

I see no way to delete the backups via the ISPConfig interface. Am I missing something? Or is this by design? If so, am I safe simply to delete the backup files from /var/backup/ ? Or is there a database component to the backups, in which case it would be a bad idea to delete them directly?

Thanks for any pointers here!
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you set number of backups to 1, ispconfig will delete all other backups during the next nightly backuo run. I'am nt 100% sure if it will delete all backups if you disable backups for the site, you might try that as well. In any case, you have to wait ubtil the next doy to see the results.
  3. cbj4074

cbj4074 Member

Thanks, Till. I really appreciate the prompt reply. I'll give it a day or two after setting the backups to disabled and see if the only backup that is present disappears. I'll report back here once I know more. By the way, the site-specific backups constitute an excellent feature addition. Very cool.
  4. cbj4074

cbj4074 Member

I gave it a couple of days after disabling the backup feature for this website, and the existing backups are not deleted automatically.

So, I did the due diligence and dug into the ISPConfig database. Brief experimentation reveals that backup information is stored (at least in part) in the `web_backup` table.

Perhaps a worthwhile feature would be to add a "Delete" button next to each backup, under Web Domain -> Backup. I am happy to create this Feature Request if doing so would be helpful.

In the meantime, would any harm result from deleting the database records in `web_backup` that correspond to these backups, and then deleting the archives from the filesystem?
  5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, please make a feature request.

You can delete them manually, there are no furher dependencies.
  6. cbj4074

cbj4074 Member