customers can not log into the backup folder

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by nokia80, Mar 2, 2011.

1. nokia80

nokia80 Member HowtoForge Supporter

hello all

just one question why can not customers in the backup folder via ftp.

happy to hear this from you

michael

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do you have virtualchroot enabled in pure-ftpd?

3. 8omas

8omas Member HowtoForge Supporter

4. till

The reason for the chmod setting is that customers shall not be able to extend their webspace to your backup system and so circumventing the quota limits. When you change it to 755, then the website oners can store their files onto your backup system, which most servers administrators wont like.

5. 8omas

I agree with this, but they cannot even download their backups. What is their use then? Only for the admin user?

6. till

The backups can be accessed by the admin. There is no other option, either they are accessible and the customers can use the backup space or they are inacessible. Maybe pure-ftpd fixes this ina future release, as I dont see why its nescessary to have write permissions to see files in pure-ftpd.

7. 8omas

I agree again.
    I made a simple script, that backups webXY and the databases of each client, in the client directory (clientYX). I think it's ok. I am testing it right now. When I am ready, I will post the code.

One question: I use ISPConfig 's db to 'learn' the client and their sites and their dbs. How possible is to change the schema in the near future? (If you change it a lot, then the script will be meaningless ... )

8. till

We try to avoid schema changes as this causes a lot of problems with updates too. Normally we extend only the existing schema by adding new fields or new tables without changing any existing fields.