Creating Own Nameservers

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by midcarolina, Sep 26, 2011.

1. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

Hi,

I have purchased two domains for two servers. The domain registrar is GoDaddy. I followed the instructions for creating the nameservers in HowToForge and added ns1, and ns2 to GoDaddy's hosts records, where the IPs were accepted. A who-is identifies the ns1 and ns2 perfectly, but intodns.com says these are "lame duck" nameservers (I think this was the term used?) I'm not sure exactly how to correct this. I am not sure if this is an issue that needs to be configured in ISPConfig 3 or it is purely a Linux issue, maybe /etc/hosts ? Any help would be appreciated. I don't mind using GoDaddy's nameservers on my own accounts, but not for other clients or those registered outside of GoDaddy, like Enom, or Network Solutions, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. laptop_user

laptop_user Member

erm.. I'm not sure what you want to achieve. If you want to use your domain with ISPC you need to add the domain records in the DNS module.

3. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the response. What I am trying to achieve is having my own nameservers for a client to use that points to my server. I purchased two domains for this purpose. The nameserver hosts have been created at the domain registrar (GoDaddy), and added to the DNS records in ISPConfig. Still no go. Doing a who-is shows ns1.example.com with the correct IP and likewise for ns2, but they won't resolve the domain that is using them as nameservers. Hopefully this clarifies some?

Thanks

4. laptop_user

laptop_user Member

: name server