Courier IMAP / POP3 error when re-creating ssl certificate

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Debian2009, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Debian2009

Debian2009 New Member

I followed "The Perfect Server -Debian Lenny (Debia 5.0) [ISPConfig 2]" up to item 13: Courier IMAP / POP3.
    When I run 'mkimapdcert', the following error message occurred.

When I restart the server, it seems there is no error during boot up.

Please advise if the error message will affect the functionality of the courier server.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

You can ignore the error message.

3. Debian2009

Debian2009 New Member

Thanks Falko.

I found that /usr/lib/courier/imapd.pem was softlink to /etc/courier/imapd.pem.
    (same for pop3d.pem)

I tried the following:

rm both imapd.pem files, then run 'mkimapdcert'. Now error message. imapd.pem was generated in /usr/lib/courier/. Then I mv the pem file to /etc/courier/ and re-create the softlink.

Are these steps OK.

I am setting up this mail server for internal LAN use (not open to the internet). Is setting up courier SSL server of any use?

Whenever I connect to the mail server using an email client (outlook, thunderbird), a message pop up saying that the certificate is not from a trusted source. How can I let the email client know that the certificate can be trusted and avoid the pop up message?

Thanks in advance.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

I think so.

I don't think you need SSL inside your LAN (unless you don't trust the users in your LAN).

You'd have to buy a certificate from a trusted CA such as Verisign or InstantSSL.

5. Debian2009

Debian2009 New Member

Thanks Falko

Falko,

Thanks so much for clearing things up. :) :D