correct proceedure for setting up new domain?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by carpman, Dec 15, 2011.

1. carpman

carpman New Member

Hi, been looking through the manually that purchased and am wondering what the correct procedure is for setting up new domain on a client?

I believe it is:

Add website
    Add dns zone
    Add email domain

Is this correct?

The bit that confuses me is the dns zone, here it has an IP field, i have been putting the main server/shared in there, but this would confuse a real client?

cheers

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. till

till Super Moderator

yes.

The dns setup is normally done by the isp (you) and not the client.In that case you would not enable the dns module for the client.

If you offer your clients direct dns management, theny they will know what to put in which field as the fields for dns records are basically the ame in every controlpanel and at every ISP.

3. carpman

carpman New Member

Ok i see now, so i disable the dns module for clients and then when they add domain i have to manually create the dns zone?

thanks

4. till

till Super Moderator

Yes. The domain has to be registered by you anyway first before your customers can use it.

5. carpman

carpman New Member

what do you mean by registered?

Do you at as in new domain register, if so what if they already have their domain?

6. till

till Super Moderator

If a customer has already a domain, then you will either have to move the domain to the registrar you work with or if they stay with their old registrar, they might use the dns servers of that registrar as well and not your dns servers. And if both options dont apply, then you might create a dns record for them.

7. carpman

carpman New Member

How do you disable dns module?

8. falko

falko Super Moderator

Under System > Users you can modify your users and change their modules.