Consequences of changing Mysql root password

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by wxman, Sep 27, 2009.

1. wxman

wxman New Member

I'd like to change my root password for MySql. I think I know where it's been used so I can update it, but I was wondering if ISPConfig is still using it somewhere after the initial install?
  2. vogelor

vogelor ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig IS using it, because we need the right to add a database and to add user and so on....

have a look at the config-files

(ATTENTION! if your have a multi-server environment, than there are TWO config files at the "slave"-server!)
  3. wxman

wxman New Member

Now you're going to make me feel bad. I can't remember where the config files are? I have a copy of one, but I didn'r say where it came from.

NOTE: I think I found them:
    but the password is encoded. How do I get around that?
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  4. vogelor

the server has its file at

the interface has its file at

hope, this helps

5. vogelor

i think the password is NOT encoded.

it is in mysql_clientdb.conf the password in is NOT the root-pwd i think...
  6. wxman

wxman New Member

I was just going to ask that. I thought the save passwords in the config files were just the 'ispconfig' user.
  7. dimitrivisser

dimitrivisser New Member

I needed to change my mysql root password fast, not because my server was hacked, but because the desktopcomputer where this password was saved had a virus. The virus stole already all my ftp passwords saved in FileZilla and hackers used it to change my websites, adding scripts to every index.html and index.php. I do not know if they also have the mysql root password, but I thought it was better to change it, just to be sure.

But the only ispconfig file I could find with the mysql root password is /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/

I cannot find anything in /usr/local ???

Is it ok now, or did I miss something ? I am using ispconfig 2. I hope someone can help me. I really feel bad after this... Spent the last 15 hours removing all scripts from my websites :-(
  8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

This is correct for ISPConfig 2.

This is for ISPConfig 3 only.