cloning ISPconfig to another machine

Discussion in 'General' started by n0fx, Jan 12, 2010.

1. n0fx

n0fx New Member

I currently have an ISPconfig server setup with only one website. I configured all the settings and tweaks for it and also have one database on it.

What I want to do is setup a second server for a test machine, so that I can upload beta stuff on it before I put it on the main "production" server. The second server will have the identical hardware except for the hard drives, which might be a different brand.

What would be the easiest way for me to just clone the hard drive/partitions, so that I don't have to setup everything up? I want to setup the second server to be on the network, so I probably change the hostname and IPs on it but I want to retain what current website and database I have on it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I think that cloning the harddrives will be the best solution.

3. n0fx

n0fx New Member

How about if the original server is on a RAID 5 configuration? I know I can clone the raid container (with the partitions) to a disk image, would that be the best way to do it and what software can I use to do it? Is there any specific that I need to do when I restore the image? I never really dealt with Linux with cloning, only Windows machines.