Client mailbox quota

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by stefan_tamas, Sep 27, 2012.

1. stefan_tamas

stefan_tamas New Member

The documentation says that client mailbox quota specifies the max. hard drive space (in MB) that this client's email accounts can use. -1 means unlimited.

The question is how it is forced? Is it limited by the filesystem quota ( I do not think as all the files owned by the vmail user) or calculated by the IMAP server/maildrop somehow? Or it is used only by ISPConfig not allowing to set sum of individual mailbox quotas greater than client mailbox quota?

I do understand that mailbox quota for individual mailboxes checked by maildrop and it works as expected.

2. till

till Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

All client settings are limits within the ispconfig interface and not the server configuration. So when you set a limit 0f 100mb for mail quota, then the client is not able to create mailboxes in ispconfig which have a overall quota value of 100mb.

3. stefan_tamas

stefan_tamas New Member

Thanks Till!

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Member

Hello,
    If I wanna have a 5GB hosting package, what would be the correct quota settings?
    I can limit web quota to 5GB and limit malibox to 5GB. Is that in the end 10GB of consumed space for client?

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Member

Ok, figured it out becase mails are in /var/vmail subdirs with owner of vmail so the quota is caluclated seperatelly. Hmh, thath complicates things. Wouldn't be better to put those maildirs in client home directories with owner of a client so it gets included in "total quota" or "client quota" ?

6. till

Maildir quotas are virtual quotas, they are calculated by the imap dameon (dovecot/courier). System quota is not used for email.

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Member

Yea, I know now... But its weird to adveritse 1GB hosting packet and then say well we have split it for webs and mails in this ratio. If you want different just say so. I see the benefit of it when dealing with customers with packages of more domains and emals, but for basic hosting with one domain per client is not so pracital. I'm just saying becase it is tough to fight against cpanel used customers...
    Nevertheless, thanks for responses, you guys are great and fast in reponse! :)

8. till

I will see if we can implement a additional client quota based on the group of the client to apply it to email as well. But using the same client or group for mail and web also makes the system less secure as attackers would be able to gain access to all emails of the client when they hack his website. Additionally, a shared quota would work only on small single server systems, as soon as you split the system in web and mail server (which cpnale does not support if i remember correctly), then you cant have a web + mail quota anyway.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Member

Yea, it doesn't support... Leave that way, I forgot about security and you are right, when some web got hacked they can read users mail because it is all in their home dir...