Clarifying doubts about websites in ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by burujabetech, Sep 10, 2013.

1. burujabetech

burujabetech New Member

Hello

I just setup a VPS with IPSConfig 3 for learning the exciting world of network administration, but I have some new questions that I'd like to clarify.

I have a domain that is pointing to my VPS. By accessing that domain I can see the default page of apache (/ var / www (index.html).I added a new site (eleka.org) from the panel ISPConfig and I see two directories have been created within the apache one is (/ var / www / eleka.org) and the other is (/ var/www/clients/client1/eleka.org).
    I want to know what is the difference between the two directories. Where should I place the public website? I tried to insert some content in both directories, but to go to the domain eleka.org still displays the default apache page. That is what else do I need set? Thank you!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Only one directory gets created when you add a new website, the directory is something like /var/www/var/www/clients/client1/web1/

The two paths ypu posted above are symlinks that point to this directory for easier navigation on the shell.

It does not matter which of the 3 paths you use as they are all the same directory.

in the "web" directory of the site.

select the IP instead of * in the website setings.

3. burujabetech

burujabetech New Member

Hello.

I have already clear what is the logic of the folders. Thank you very much!

About the domain, I tried to edit the website by putting the IP instead of * in the IPv4-Address field, but when saving, the value reappears * instead of the IP. This is normal? I need to configure anything else?

Thanks

4. till

Most likely you have not added the Ip under System > server Ip yet?

5. burujabetech

burujabetech New Member

I added the IP where you have specified and now I've been able to select the IP for the website. Even soshows the default apache page.

6. till

Is your server behind a nat router? if yes, did you add the internal IP address?

7. burujabetech

burujabetech New Member

No, it is not behind a NAT. It's a VPS of OVH.

Also, I've gone the route /etc/apache2/sites-availabe and there I see two files: eleka.org.vhost and eleka.org.vhost.err.

I opened the first and this is what puts:

# Apache did not start after modifying this vhost file.
    # Please check file /etc/apache2/sites-available/eleka.org.vhost.err for syntax$

As I understand, in that file should go all lines indicating that it is a vhost, the documentroot and everything, right?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013