Charset for language files

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by cfoe, May 18, 2012.

  1. cfoe

    cfoe ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

    Hi Devs,

    1. I am just trying to finish up the German language files from the TRUNK and came across an inconsistency.
      The .lng-files have the UTF-8 encoding but some strings contain unnecessary code like ö for ö .

      Can I change these to the characters included in UTF-8?
    2. German translation for domain:
      The German translation for "domain" is inconsistent throughout the interface. For me TLDs should be named "Domain(s)" in German also because "Domäne(n)" are most of the time referencing to the domain of a Active Directory/LDAP.

      For the sake of consistency I could change all German references of domain from "Domäne" to "Domain". Just give me the go-ahead
    3. General text format for $wb['add_new_record_txt'] (German): Should the "Neue" be included in the text?
      "Neue Mailbox hinzufügen" vs "Mailbox hinzufügen"

    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. falko

    falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

    I've noticed this as well. The problem is that umlauts are displaying fine in some forms while in other forms they display strange characters (therefore the lng files contain ö instead of ö in these cases). We're trying to figure out why this happens, therefore I ask you to not change any German language files until we've figured this out.

    I prefer "Domain" over "Domäne".

    I can't say this right now, I need to check first.
  3. cfoe

    cfoe ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

    I just investigated the problem and found the solution. Some of the .lng-files have the ASNI encoding and are therefore not UTF-8 compatible. After the conversion to UTF-8 the frontend displays all characters correctly.
    I will check and correct all .lng file encodings and update the files with umlauts and a few additions to DE translations.
  4. cfoe

    cfoe ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

    The problem is somewhat different from what I thought.
    The main problem is still right. Some of the checked-out files are ASNI encoded.

    It seems to be a Subversion bug. You may need to lay a hand on Subversion and let it change all encodings to "UTF-8 (w/o BOM)" as are most but not all files.

    I will hold back with changes to the language files until the encoding is fixed.
  5. till

    till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    Thanks for your findings, I will check that.
  6. cfoe

    cfoe ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

    Till solved the charset "problem".

    To all translators:
    If you need to use special characters in your language (files) only available in UTF-8 make sure you set the encoding in e.g. Notepad++ to "UTF-8 Without BOM" before you commit to the SVN.

    So commit away! There are some new features not translated in a few languages.

    If you are not using the ISPConfig SVN follow this guide

Share This Page