Character encoding within ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by melwood, Jun 18, 2007.

1. melwood

melwood ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hi,

there are a lot of post concerning character encoding, but they all seem to be about the "normal" apache webserver running on port 80.
    I insatlled my server according the "perfect debian etch" Howto and after that installed ISPConfig. I added "AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1" and the "normal" site all work well now.
    But I also have an character encoding problem within ISPConfig. All special characters like ä,ü, ect. are mixed up.

The encodeing of the ISPConfig HTML-pages is set to ISO-8859-1.

Is it possible that the german translation files are utf-8 encoded?

melwood

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  2. Leszek

Leszek New Member

Hi!
    You should look for:
    Code:
    $go_info["theme"]["charset"] = "iso-8859-2";
    in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php and change it to what You need.

3. melwood

It's set to "iso-8859-1" which should be fine for german "Umlaute"...

melwood

4. melwood

More info about my problem:

When I switch the encoding within my browser manually to UTF-8 the special characters will be shown correctly.

But the encoding of the page is iso-8859-1:
    HTML:
    <title>ISPConfig Startseite</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    The strange thing is, that when I look at the html-source within the browser, the special chracters are also shown correctly.

melwood

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  5. till

till Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

No, they are all in Latin-1 and ISPConfig does not support UTF-8. I use ISPConfig also with german umlauts without having to change anything. Are the german locales installed on your server, e.g. the de@euro locale?

6. melwood

Sorry, but I don't know, how to check this and if they are not installed how to install them (debian etch). Can I do this with apt-get?

I know, people like me shouldn't run a dedicated server ;-)

melwood

7. till

till Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

The command is:

dpkg-reconfigure locales

8. melwood

Okay, the only locale installed was de_DE.UTF-8. I now installed
    de_DE.ISO-8859-1 and de_DE.ISO-8859-15@euro and selected de_DE.ISO-8859-15@euro as default.

Everything works fine now except the "status"-tab when I login as admin. But it is possible that I screwd up the language file while trying to solve the problem myself ;-)

The only problem is, that I can't find the language file for this tab. Do you know in which lib-folder it is?

melwood

9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff Moderator HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

There's no language file for the Status tab. It just grabs the output of
    Code:
    df -h
    on your shell and displays it.

10. melwood

Thanks for your help. After installing the new locale, setting it to de_DE.ISO-8859-15@euro and restarting the server, now the text in the browser is in english. But when I issue the command on the console it is in german, strange...

melwood

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  11. melwood

Updated to 2.2.14 and now the text is in german again :)

Thanks for all your help!

melwood