change client/owner/reseller

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jboud, Jul 2, 2011.

1. jboud

jboud New Member

When i first started using the ISPC3 I inserted some clients through the admin user directly, so these clients don't belong to some reseller account. I've read around that there's no direct way of changing the reseller of a client, so I want to ask if the following example will serve me as a workaround.

client1 is the current owner of the domain.
    reseller1 is the reseller I wish the client1 to belong to.
    so I log as reseller1 and create another account for client1 called client11.
    I log again as admin and change the website client owner from client1 to client11, so the website, database, dns, email move from the old client name to the new.
    I delete the old client1 and hopefully it works.

Is this correct?
    thx

2. till

till Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff HowtoForge Supporter ISPConfig Developer

Yes, that should work.

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I've got a similar question but the other way around:

I've got a reseller with about 10 clients who stopped paying so I was planning on deleting his reseller account which will move all his assets into the recycle bin, right?

Now most of his client know me and will contact me to rectify their problem so how do I go about enabling their assets, i.e. their client account with all sites, DBs, emails etc. without enabling the reseller account?

Basically, I need to move a client away from a reseller.

Any hints on how to perform this?

4. jboud

jboud New Member

I would suggest the same way as I mentioned above.

Website1 belongs to Client1 which belongs to Reseller1
    Create a Client2 that belongs to some other reseller (you should login as that reseller to make it easier)
    Login back as an admin again and Change the owner of Website1 to Client2

I beleive that's the easiest way.

5. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

Sounds logic but I'm sure one could change a field in the DB that holds the reseller info and simply "remove" a client from a reseller, which would be way less effort hence my question but if nobody can help me with that I guess I'm going with your solution :)

6. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

Nobody? No easier way?

The reason I'd love to avoid creating new clients then moving resources is that I might miss something :-(

what do I need to shift?

sites
    DBs
    DNS entries
    email domains
    email inboxes
    email aliases?

anything else? what if I overlook something? will I end up with half of the resources owned by the old client and the other half by the new one?

7. till

1) Set the parent_client_id to 0 for all clients of this reseller in the "client" database table.
    2) Edit the sys_user record of the reseller and remove the group ID's of all client groups from the "groups" column of the reseller.

8. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I can't seem to get this right:

- edited the client table, selected a client of a reseller, set his parent_client_id to 0
    - edited the sys_user table selected the reseller, deleted the group of the above mentioned client from the groups column and changed the field: default_group to another one of his groups

Logged in as the reseller and he still sees the client I just tried to remove from his account.

Any other ideas?

9. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

Am I missing something ehre? Any more instructions?

10. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

Pretty please?

11. till

Change the sys_userid and sys_groupid of the client record in the client table to 1.

12. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

Ok, I did that and now the reseller doesn't see the client I edited anymore. STILL all other assets that were previously connected with that client, now all "belong" to the reseller...

So this doesn't look like a quick solution anymore unless I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help anyway.