CentOS Apache DNS - Virtual Host

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by destinedjagold, Sep 28, 2012.

1. destinedjagold

destinedjagold New Member

Okay, so I have managed to fix my other issues through searching around Google, but now, I have stumbled yet again with another problem that I could neither fix nor search through Google.

Anyway, hello and good day pipz.

I am trying to create a local server through LAN connection. Other computers can already access the server by either typing the hostname or the I.P. address.

The default server root is /var/www/html, and the server displays an Apache Welcome page, since I removed the index.html in the said location.

I would want for the server to instantly throw me to a page I made, which is located inside a folder within the server root.

I can access the said page if I type the IP address, followed by slashes and names of the folder locations and then the file name, like so...
    And the server displays it no problem.

Now though, I want to simply type "example.com" and the server automatically throws me to the index.php within loc1 and loc2 folders.
    After researching, I found out that I needed to write a Virtual Host within httpd.conf.
    I did just that...
    <VirtualHost example.com:80>
    #    DocumentRoot /var/www/html
        DocumentRoot /var/www/html/loc1/loc2
        DirectoryIndex index.php
        ServerName example.com
        <Directory "/var/www/html/loc1/loc2">
            Order allow,deny
            Allow from all
        Redirect 404 /favicon.ico
        <Location /favicon.ico>
            ErrorDocument 404 "No favicon"
        ErrorLog /etc/httpd/logs/example-error.log
    But after trying to type example.com, the server displays a white blank page. Accessing the error log files, it gave me this message.
    Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/html/
    I don't understand why that is happening. If I comment the file's location and uncomment the root location, the server displays the Apache Welcome page again, and if I type the location on the address bar, the index.php is displayed properly.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please use the IP address instead of the hostname:

(Replace with the server's IP.)
  3. destinedjagold

destinedjagold New Member

Thanks falko, but I already tried that method, and it gave me this error message...
    [Mon Oct 01 10:20:58 2012] [error] [client] Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/html/
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.