catchall domain

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by kirkharris, May 31, 2012.

1. kirkharris

kirkharris New Member

Im trying to setup what would be called a catchall domain, to be able to look at like http://catchall.domain.tld/domain1.tld/ to say view websites that maybe DNS is broken for.

The catchall is setup to be DocumentRoot /var/www and it works, the problem is i dont have permissions to go into all the websites stored in there. I could probably fix it by manually changing permissions on the websites, but that doesnt seem to be a very smart answer, as i would have to change each website after it was added.

What can i do to make this work properly?

Can provide any more info if needed. thanks!
  2. kirkharris

kirkharris New Member

anyone have any ideas?
  3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You will probably get problems with rewrite rules, etc. because the document root is different from the real one. Also, why do you want to go into the web sites and change things?
  4. kirkharris

kirkharris New Member

I dont want to go in and change things, but if i disable a website, i might still want to be able to access it myself as the provider. As far as rewrite rules go inside each website, im not really concerned, as long as i can access it. Also its a good way to test websites before i assign a host to them.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

6. kirkharris

kirkharris New Member

i was hoping there was a way without doing a hack everytime i needed to access a site.
  7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not test websites that use cms systems thsi way reliably. So such a access makes only sense for plain html sites which dont use any scripts or .htaccess files.

To access a website in a way that you can get a reliable result, use the hosts file method from the FAQ.

If you rgularily have to access a site which is hosted lsehere, then add a alias or subdomain domain to the site and create this alias or subdomain in the normal dns system.