cant send mail outside of webmail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by 911pcdoc, Sep 2, 2014.

1. 911pcdoc

911pcdoc New Member

ok so i am new to ispconfig i did follow the guide and installed it as directed and all seems to be working but when i tr to send mail form other devices say my ipad i get smtp user not authenticated??? i have checked everything know of but i know that's not all of it pleas any guidance would be very helpful
  2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Do you use dovecot or courier as imap and pop3 server?

- Are you able to send and receive emails with webmail? An easy test if the local mailsystem works is to login to webmail with a account hosted on the server and send a email to the same address that you used to login to webmail. The email shall arrive within a minute back to your account when the local mailsystem works. If the email does not arrive, then check the mail.log as described below.

- Post the error message(s) that you get in the mail log file when the problem occurs. The mail log file is in the folder /var/log/, it is named "mail.log" on Debian and Ubuntu Linux and named "maillog" on other distributions.
  3. Wheaten

Wheaten New Member

I am running into the same problem. To avoid errors in configuring the system i reinstalled all following:

sending an mail to an account hosted on my server everything works fine, as soon as I try to sent it to a mailbox outside my server, it's bounced with a message:

I've tried multiple reconfiguration, found on internet, but then squirelmail get's all kind on internal mail errors. Any idea how to get this working?
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Is your server located in a datacenter or is the server hosted at home / in office?
  5. Wheaten

Wheaten New Member

located at home. Have a VPS but due to limited time I can spent on the system, Iwant to transfer evertyhing to a home server. and save 17 euro's p/m ;)
  6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Ok. Home IP's are blacklisted by most internet service providers, so you cant send out mails directly from this server. But you can use the mail server of your ISP to relay the outgoing emails, See System > server config > mail for the settings of the outgoing relay server.
  7. Wheaten

Wheaten New Member

mmm, I could have known this :(
    I will use one of the mail servers on my VPS, if this works I can transit the VPS to a mail account, Not sure if my ISP will like me if I generate traffic with 25 mail boxes.....
    Thanks for your time & support.

I got off balance since I have a development system for opencart and was able to sentout mails. But looking at the setup, I m sure that it open relay...