Can't recieve email after Modem Swap

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dgeho1, Oct 31, 2013.

1. dgeho1

dgeho1 Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ubuntu 12.04 with ISP CONfig

Mail services were functioning fine until I had to do a DSL modem/router swap

I can send mail but cant receive...

I have looked at all of the port forwarding from the old modem and tried to move it over to the new and it all looks the same..

What ports need to be open to receive?

2. Ghostdare

Ghostdare Member

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  3. Quaxth

Quaxth New Member

Receiving Mail is normally Port 110 for POP3 and port 143 for IMAP. SMTP standard port is Port 25 (or Port 465 for SMTPS) which seems to be working for you.

On the end of the day, it's all about the settings of your Mail Server.
  4. dgeho1

dgeho1 Member HowtoForge Supporter

Turns out despite opening ports 25 and 110 with application rules.. this zyxel needed portforwarding then the server needed to be added to a DMZ.. ultimately this modem/router doesn't port forward the way I need to..

I will be replacing it with a cisco 26xx with an ADSL WIC..

Any recomendations on which model and IOS?
  5. Quaxth

Quaxth New Member

In DMZ your machine is totally unsecured. Port forwarding should work with no problems to an DMZ Machine.

Regarding the Cisco ADSL Modem/router, I would go at least for an 600 or 800 series device. Do not get an Linksys, even they're owned by Ciso for a few years already, it's not the same, much lower quality and spec.

Would be all about how much you would spend and what's available in your country.