Can't receive mail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by stevegjacobs, Jun 6, 2010.

1. stevegjacobs

stevegjacobs New Member

I am using ispconfig3 on Debian Lenny following the perfect server tutorial. When tailing /var/log/mail.log I get this when a mail is received:

Cannot have world/group permissions on the filter file - for your own good.
    and mail is not delivered to the mail box. I've read elsewhere about changing permissions for files to correct this problem - the file is usually /etc/maildroprc or /etc/courier/maildroprc or on some systems, $home/.mailfilter

I found the $home/.mailfilter in the vmail folder for one of my users and the permissions were:
    -rwxrwx--- 1 vmail root   98 2010-06-06 12:46 .mailfilter
    This is what was set up by ispconfig3, but according to what I read the permissions should be set to 700 (instead of 770) as above. I did try manually doing this but that resulted in a different error. Any ideas?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The permissions of the .mailfilter file are not OK. ISPConfig sets the following permissions during install:

chown vmail:vmail /var/vmail/.mailfilter
    chmod 600 /var/vmail/.mailfilter
  3. stevegjacobs

stevegjacobs New Member

That was it - I was looking at /var/vmail/mailfilters/domainname/username/.mailfilter instead of the one at the top level.