Cannot set up Google Apps Email. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by alexwalkey, Apr 4, 2008.

  1. alexwalkey

    alexwalkey New Member

    Hi,

    I've been at this for a week now, scoured these forums, and still no joy. Here's my setup:

    I run 3 sites off of ispconfig but haven't used any of them for mail. For the first two my service providers route mail straight to Google Apps using the MX Records I supplied. Site works, mail works, no problems. For the third site running on ispconfig I used a different (very "low key") service provider and he has a different set up and can only forward "all traffic" to my ispconfig server. He says that all mail is pointed that way too.

    So, now, I need to sort out all the MX records and whatnot on my side, through ispconfig. I think I've done everything as I've seen it explained on these forums:

    I have these mx records, in this order:

    ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
    ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
    ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
    ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
    ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
    ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
    ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.

    And I have selected "external mailserver" under the sites' Options.

    On the Google side I've verified my domain correctly and am now just staring at my third "We are checking MX records for your domain. This may take 48 hours to complete." - this one's been up for over a day so far and I'm not holding out much hope.

    I'm sure there's something wrong with my basic ispconfig setup that I just haven't noticed until now as I haven't yet needed any email functionality. Possibly there's something wrong with my nameservers (is that possible???). I have some public nameservers' ip addresses in at the moment.

    Please can someone give me some ideas as to what I can check?

    Thanks a lot (for anything at all - really) :confused:

    -Alex
     
  2. till

    till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

    You need to set all co-domains to externnal mailsver too, not just the sitte settings.
     
  3. alexwalkey

    alexwalkey New Member

    Hi Till, thanks for the reply.

    I had, in fact, not checked there and it was set to local. But even now that I've set it to external I see that www.mxtoolbox.com still sees no mailservers listed there. And they say they should pick up changes immediately. I will get google to check again but as that takes 48hrs is there anything else it could be?

    Thanks in advance!

    Edit: The hostname field under co-domains is blank. Is that right? Kind if like a catch-all hostname?
     
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  4. alexwalkey

    alexwalkey New Member

    Still no joy

    Hi, still no luck with this.

    mxtoolbox.com shows a mx record that points to my ispconfig server. Is that right or should it be looking there and then showing the mx records pointing to google?

    -Alex
     
  5. falko

    falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

    Yes, because technically, www.example.com and example.com are two totally different things.

    IT should show the Google records. Can you post your domain so that I can check?
     
  6. alexwalkey

    alexwalkey New Member

    Hi Falko,

    Sure, the domain is thecupcakecompany.co.za (don't laugh) :)

    Thanks,

    -Alex

    ps Still nothing (Google saying it's still checking + mxtoolbox showing nothing)
     
  7. falko

    falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

    This is what I get:

    Code:
    mh1:~# dig mx thecupcakecompany.co.za
    
    ; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> mx thecupcakecompany.co.za
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 17235
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
    
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;thecupcakecompany.co.za.       IN      MX
    
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    thecupcakecompany.co.za. 14400  IN      MX      0 thecupcakecompany.co.za.
    
    ;; Query time: 210 msec
    ;; SERVER: 145.253.2.75#53(145.253.2.75)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Apr  8 09:42:06 2008
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 57
    
    mh1:~#
    So no Google records...

    Did you create the records on the following name servers?

    Code:
    mh1:~# dig ns thecupcakecompany.co.za
    
    ; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> ns thecupcakecompany.co.za
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 45467
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
    
    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;thecupcakecompany.co.za.       IN      NS
    
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    thecupcakecompany.co.za. 43162  IN      NS      [B][COLOR="Red"]ns3.sa-servers.net[/COLOR][/B].
    thecupcakecompany.co.za. 43162  IN      NS      [B][COLOR="Red"]ns2.sa-hosting.net[/COLOR][/B].
    thecupcakecompany.co.za. 43162  IN      NS      [B][COLOR="Red"]ns1.sa-hosting.net[/COLOR][/B].
    thecupcakecompany.co.za. 43162  IN      NS      [B][COLOR="Red"]ns4.sa-servers.net[/COLOR][/B].
    
    ;; Query time: 17 msec
    ;; SERVER: 145.253.2.75#53(145.253.2.75)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Apr  8 09:42:44 2008
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 138
    
    mh1:~#
     

Share This Page