Can Someone Help with Installing Ubuntu on 3 M.2 HDD's in Raid0

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by sparks79, Dec 27, 2020.

1. sparks79

sparks79 New Member

I have an Advanced Home Built PC , Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master M/B, Ryzen 3 3300x CPU, 3 x Aorus NVME Gen4 SSD 500gb ea, Nvidia GT750 Graphics, 64gb RAM etc.
    I want to Install Zorin OS 15.3 ( which is basically Ubuntu ) on Raid0.
    There is no option to create raid at install time with the standard ubuntu install.
    I have had several attempts at Using Ubuntu Server Install and Creating the Raid0 in the early stages of the install.
    But I have had more failures with this because I can't find any Documented Way of Doing it .
    Could someone point me in the right direction here.
    Creating a Bootable Raid0 Array is a very Complex Procedure, More so in Linux.
    I can't understand why they can't provide an Automated Install Procedure for Raid0, Like Some Windows Installations.
    I want to try Raid0 because of the Speed.
    I am aware of possible data loss if a drive fails but that doesn't worry me.
    I won't be using it for Games or Dual Booting Windows.

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

How do you install the M2 NVME SSD?

The reason I asked is because, in my research to upgrade my Lenovo M92p and M93p, I noted that some PC Bios doesn't support M2 NVME SSD out of box and you need to hack it before you can directly use it like any other SATA or USB HDD or SDD.

3. sparks79

sparks79 New Member

To ( ahrasis ) , Hack the Bios, I have Never had to do that to get a system to recognize Any M.2 NVME Drive.???

4. ahrasis

If your system bios already recognize it, you are supposed to be able to install on it like any other hdd / sdd, as simple as that, so enter you PC bios to verify and confirm your its ability for M2 NVME SSD, as it should be automatically detected.

5. sparks79

sparks79 New Member

Hold Everything, Where Off on the Wrong Foot Here.
    I have No Problem with my bios recognizing my M.2.
    The Purpose of this Topic is me looking for Assistance in Installing Ubuntu in Raid0, as I mentioned above.

6. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Are you sure? Which Ubuntu version does not have that support?

7. ahrasis

Read this https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-HDD-SCSI-RAID/Cannot-Create-RAID/td-p/4208143

If the said action in the link is what you were actually trying to do, then this also is not possible.

8. sparks79

sparks79 New Member