Before installing Linux: VMware and partitioning

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tecehen, Oct 29, 2007.

1. tecehen

tecehen New Member

In the attached image, you will see how I partitioned my 2 disks several years ago, with PartitionMagic8. Basically, Windows XP is in C: on Disk 1, the swap file and the programs are on disk 2, respectively in D: and E:. Since I have AutoCAD, I need to create a virtual machine. I saw that there's a tutorial on this site, but do you think it's possible with my current configuration? Or should I try to merge C, D and E first? The swap file isn't a problem but I have no idea how to proceed for E, though.

Once this VM is created, what are your recommendations to set up Linux? I'm inclined to go for SimplyMEPIS or PCLinuxOS. I will need an NTFS partition for AutoCAD (and possibly Photoshop) and of course I want to migrate my other partitions F: (data), G: (photos) and K: (music and video).

Any suggestion really appreciated, I'm completely new to Linux.
    Best Regards,
    PS: I came across this a while ago, worth reading :)

Attached Files:

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. tecehen

tecehen New Member

More questions

Yes I was referring to the tutorial you mentioned. It is said there to create the VM on a network disk attached to the Linux system. However I don't have this config yet, since I will install Linux on my current XP machine. So the questions:
    • Where do I store the virtual machine?
    • How do I partition my disks in order to install Linux?
    • Which distribution do I try? I would like to import the maximum of my XP environment but may need to run an XP program, from time to time...
    I was going to try SimplyMEPIS or PCLinuxOS...
  4. falko

• Don't you have any other PC in your network where you can store the virtual machine? A USB HDD would do as well.

Normally you can accept the default partitioning scheme that most Linux installers present you. :)
    I'd go for Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon.
  5. tecehen

tecehen New Member

Linux partitioning

Thanks for your reply. I do have an external USB HDD, I hadn't thought of using it. Could I burn the virtual machine on a CD, though? I also have a laptop but don't have a home network.

Regarding my disks, I've already read in one tutorial that I can accept the default partitioning. But is that efficient :confused: ? Will I be able to convert my existing XP partitions without losing data? Wouldn't it be better to create a Linux one at the beginning of disk 1 for the system and programs (want to be able to backup it in one go, which I can hardly do with my current config :( ), and move my other partitions on disk 2...

And also, why do you suggest Ubuntu, not Kubuntu or the distros I mentioned? Actually I was hinted to them by "Briard" (see here).

Thanks in advance for your patience ;) ,
  6. falko

You can burn it onto a CD or DVD, but you must create it first (you cannot burn it while it's being created).

There's a misunderstanding, I think. I guess you somehow think that your Linux partitioning must somehow be related to your XP partitioning. If you run XP in a virtual machine, this has nothing to do with your Linux partitioning.

I use Ubuntu because it's based on Debian and therefore has the best package manager (apt), plus I like GNOME better than KDE. If you like KDE more, then of course you can use Kubuntu. :)