Automatic Startup and Shutdown for Debian

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by inishmore, Nov 16, 2006.

1. inishmore

inishmore New Member

Hi guys,
    I would like to know, if it is possible, how I can program the automatic startup and shutdown for a server Debian. :confused:

Thx :)
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Do you mean how you can start daemons at boot time?
  3. inishmore

inishmore New Member

Hi falko,
    I try to explain better you what I would like to do... I am working to a project for the realization of an intranet in a school. All the servers use as O.S. Debian Sarge 3.1... I would like to be able to program the turn on and the turn off (days and times) of the servers with the purpose to automatize the procedure.

I hope that you can help me... :)
  4. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

I still do not understand what you are trying to do, but if it's actualy turning of (as in shutdown) the server/PC at set times, and turning it back on, you could have a look at the BIOS, as some motherboards, support this option.

If not, than for sure you can code a script that will shutdown the servere/PC. The turning on part I think can not be done (I think) as the server/PC is off, and can not run a script.
  5. inishmore

inishmore New Member

Hi Edge,
    you have understood what I’m trying to do… I would to set times and days for turning on/off my servers/PC. For the turning on I had thought about the BIOS of the motherboard too, even if it is not a lot of configurable. However, if there is not other, I will do in this way. But for the script of turning off (shutdown) I would not know from whether to begin, and I would be you thankful if you could lend me a hand to realize this script.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can create a cron job for it. Run
    crontab -e
    as root and then enter something like

0 18 * * * shutdown -h now
    which would shut down the computer each day at 18.00h. You might have to use the full path to shutdown which you can find by running
    which shutdown
    Regarding turning on the computers: what about using clock timers?
  7. inishmore

inishmore New Member

Thanks for the precious help.