apt-get... "could not relolve us.archive.ubunto.com"...

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by expunkermikey, Aug 18, 2008.

  1. expunkermikey

    expunkermikey New Member

    I am installing ubunto server 8.04.1 LTS using Howtoforge tutorial "the perfect sever" by "falko".

    In step "8" it is advised to edit the "souces" list and then run apt-get to check for updates. The sources list was left untouched as it matched the example shown in the tutorial.

    After running the command "apt-get update", I get the following output:

    "could not resolve 'us.archives.ubuntu.com'"

    All steps prior to Step "8" were followed to the letter.

    This machine was running XP and had internet connectivity before this install.

    This machine is connected via a router to a cable modem. Common setup.

    So then I moved on through to step "11". (installing some software...) I ran the suggested command and it came back as the "could not resovle..." message.

    Why Am I now, apparently unable to connect to the internet? I have a sneaking suspicion it lies in the last part of step "7"... (configure the network). Or not... "Errrrgh"


  2. falko

    falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

    What's in /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/apt/sources.list?
  3. expunkermikey

    expunkermikey New Member

    Hi Falko,

    I could not view the items you requested. I received a "permission denied" message.
    The apt/souces.list is viewable when I use "vi". It is exactly the same as your example in the tutorial.. except of course the "de" is replaced with "us". I also "removed" the installation CD from the file as an alternative to commenting out that line.

    Tonight I had an epiphany.. I went and looked at the ip address of my main machine (a windows unit) and compared that to my secondary machine (a Linux with ubuntu desktop)
    both of the machines ip addy's were not as expected. Example: and .1.3. instead of .0.2 and .0.3

    I found that the gateway address was also different than what was expected ( I was expecting

    So i went back and changed the ip address and gateway address in "network/interfaces" to: and for the gateway:

    I also edited the /hosts to reflect the same for server1.example.com

    This approach cured my problem and i am off to the races once more....(that is to say, I ran apt-get update and upgrade and was successful.)

    Thank you for your patience, and time spent with this newest of newbies... I am sure there will more questions as I learn.

    Mikey :)

Share This Page