Apache monitoring and restart if down?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Kira, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Kira

Kira Member

I am having some trouble with my apache recently, it just sometimes hangs and the websites are no longer accessible. Unfortunately this always happens at the worst times when I can not react immediately.

Since I haven't found the issue yet, I'd like to setup a monitor service in the meantime to automatically restart apache if something is not working correctly.

I've found M/Monit, this seems to be exactly what I am needing - tho.. I am kinda very confused with the configuration. :(

It has to check if apache is running, and restart it if not - and also should test HTTP requests to see if apache is running, but not working properly anymore. I think that's possible with this config: http://www.mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html#HTTP

But yeah.. as I said, I am a bit overwhelmed with the setup, and don't want to make any mistakes there.. so if anyone could give me a helping hand there, that'd be great! I've installed the server following the standard ISPConfig tutorials for Debian.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Did you try the isconfig rescue system (System > Server Config >Rescue) which can also monitor apache and restart it on failure.

If you wnat to go with monit, whch is a good choice as well, then use one of the monit guides from Falko here at howtoforge, they work fine on ISPConfig servers.