Anyone familiar with Virtualmin, setting up user folders?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Panzer Max, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Panzer Max

Panzer Max New Member

I just migated servers and switched from Ensim to Virtualmin, popped for a $200 license fee. I am having a lot of trouble understanding the Virtualmin documentation, there are no screens and obviously my level of understanding is inadequate. Anyone familiar with Virtualmin and creating a user who can FTP to his and only his subfolder (and not up to the public_html directory) ??

I can create users, but cannot determine the URL to access the index page in their folder. www.domain.tld/user/ ?

This was really easy with Ensim. :confused:
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I'm not familiar with Virtualmin, but did you take a look at the Apache configuration? That should give you a hint how you can access the user directories.
  3. Panzer Max

Panzer Max New Member

Thanks, Falko, but I will admit that I wouldn't really know how to read my Apache configuration.

However, trial and error may have come through again. For any other noobs who come staggering this way,

get the desired domain in the dropdown list
    >Edit Mail and FTP,
    >Add a user to this server.
    >Add username and password,
    >In Quota and home directory settings, Home Directory, check the "Subdirectory of server's home": public_html/user1 ;in this case, folder is named "public_html/user1"

Username: user1.domain
    password: xxxxxxx

In web browser:

Simple, just took a while to get the right combination of settings.
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think there's some kind of Alias line for the user pages.