A few doubts about new ISPCOnfig installation

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by intratek, Mar 21, 2011.

1. intratek

intratek New Member

Hello All !

I just installed ISPConfig 3 (Stand alone) on my CentOS 5.2 server.

We are a govt organization and our basic need is to host a few (may be within 10) websites and a few subdomains for those websites. In that sense we are under utilizing the powerful application like ISPConfig...

Installation was fine and was as per directed as the howto on howtoforge.
    But I have a few doubts about the installation. Am I wrong somewhere ???
    Currently I have installed it on our internal server giving an interal IP address in a LAN and not co located at our ISP.
    1. For /etc/init.d/postfix status it gives "master is stopped"...
    2. For /etc/init.d/mydns status it gives "mydns dead but pid file exists". I removed the pid file and started once again, but the same thing happens...
    3. When I go for control panel, in the monitor section, For Show Services it says DNS-Server Offline (in RED) instead of mydns-Server as in the ISPConfig Manual... (I have also got a copy of it at 5 Euro from the Website). I have removed bind and dovecot from the system as per stated... Still why it is showing DNS-Server and not myDNS-Server

4. Should I reinstall the ISPConfig section only ?? or is there any way to reconfigure the system ???

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) Which errors do you get in the maillog when you restart postfix?
    2) Which errors do you get in the syslog or messages log or on the shell when you rstart mydns?
    3) Thats ok, The monitor makes no difference for the dns server software, for that reason the transaltion of the item has been changed from mydns-server to DNS-Server independantly which dns software is installed on the server.

4) No. Please answer the questions 1 and 2. As a side note: It might have been much easier for you if you would have used Debian which is the Linux distribution which is recommended for ISPConfig. Centos is always a bit more complicated and unstable when used for a ISPConfig server.

3. intratek

intratek New Member

messages in the log files...

Thank you very much for yor very quick reply...

It was exim that was started !! I never imagined... how ... I can't say but it was off while installing the system and postfix was shown as started when ISPConfig was installed.. I made exim off permanently and started postfix and with chkconfig 235 on... So no issue with postfix (it seems to be..)

But I do got in /var/log/maillog

Mar 21 18:05:02 server1 postfix/smtpd[6962]: connect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
    Mar 21 18:05:02 server1 postfix/smtpd[6962]: lost connection after CONNECT from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
    Mar 21 18:05:02 server1 postfix/smtpd[6962]: disconnect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
    Mar 21 18:10:01 server1 pop3d: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Mar 21 18:10:01 server1 imapd: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Mar 21 18:10:01 server1 imapd: Disconnected, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], time=0
    Mar 21 18:10:01 server1 pop3d: Disconnected, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Mar 21 18:10:01 server1 postfix/smtpd[7183]: connect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
    Mar 21 18:10:01 server1 postfix/smtpd[7183]: lost connection after CONNECT from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
    Mar 21 18:10:01 server1 postfix/smtpd[7183]: disconnect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]

Is it OK ??

I just checked about mydns. Some other IP is running from virbr0 interface and may be conflicting.. the error was

Mar 21 18:10:13 server1 mydns[7215]: bind (TCP): 192.168.122.1:53: Address already in use.

Please guide.. I also check the settings from my end..

Really thankful to you...

4. till

Yesm thats ok. This is the system monitor which checks the pop3, imap and smtp services.

Please post the output of:

netstat -tap | grep dns

5. intratek

intratek New Member

The output of netstat -tap | grep dns was :

tcp 0 0 192.168.122.1:domain *:* LISTEN 4040/dnsmasq

I stopped the service dnsmasq and after removing /var/run/mydns.pid started mydns and now its running. Then I checked DNS-Server in Sytem --> Server Services -->Saved and now after 5 min in Monitor section, everything is fine !! It shows DNS-Server Online

Really very thankful to you. Now I will follow the steps from the ISPConfig Manual. If found some difficulty, expect your kind support.

Thanks.

BTW, I changed from exim to postfix, and spamassassin and clamv are configured with courier while installation of ISPConfig, So that should not make any difference . Am I right ??

6. till

ISPConfig supports only postfix, so thats ok.

The difficulties you had are common for Centos systems as the yum package managerfrom Centos is not able to detect concurring daemons like postfix / exim and uninstall them or warn the user while apt on Debian / Ubuntu would simply replace exim with postfix when you install postfix.