1 out of 9 domains not getting mail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dtrotter, Aug 13, 2008.

1. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

I just rebuild my ISPConfig Server on new hardware and I have run into a wall. All 9 of my domains can send AND receive email except one. It can send ok but it will NOT receive. Messages are getting returned to the server with the error: The recipient's destination email system is unknown or invalid.

I have removed the site and DNS, restarted ISPConfig and re-added the site with the same results.

I am running Ubuntu Server 7.10 and the latest 2.X Stable ISPConfig build.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please make sure that the site www.domain.com has a co-domain domain.com with empty hostname.
  3. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

That is correct - My co-domain has domain.com with an empty hostname.
  4. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

Fixed - Problem with ISPConfig and DNS

Here is what ISPConfig created as the domains DNS MX record:
      MX      10 hostname.domain.com.
    After I changed it to this it started receiving email:

mail.domain.com  IN  MX      10 mail.domain.com.
    The reason the other domain were working is because I imported the dns records from an older version of ISPConfig from an older server. I think there is an issue with this version of ISPConfig and how it writes DNS Records - or an ISPConfig Setting I need to change so I dont have to manually enter all my records...

Thanks, and cheers!

5. till

There is no known issue with the dns manager. I guess you have the wrong hostname settings under management > server > settings. Make sure that the combination of hostname + domain listed there is really pointing to your server with a dns A-Record.
  6. dtrotter

dtrotter New Member

That is my hostname, and domain name, which is what is being put into DNS as the MX. but when I host multiple domains shouldnt the mx record be different for each domain? Or, should it be like this:

Management -> Server -> Settings:
    Hostname: myname
    Domain: domain.com

Then the mx records SHOULD read:

MX myname.domain.com

and NOT:

mail.domain2.com. IN MX mail.domain2.com.
    mail.domain3.com. IN MX mail.domain3.com.
    mail.domain4.com. IN MX mail.domain4.com.

ALL domains should have the MX pointing to the local hstname.domain.com?

If that is the case why doesnt it work until I change things and add the additional info in?
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  7. till

The MX record must be a domain name that points with a DNS A-Record to your server. It does not have to be mail.domain.com. Please craete a DNS A-Record for myname.domain.com pointing to the IP of your server and you will see that the MX records will work.