vtiger CRM 5.02 on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server (Dapper Drake) - Page 2
3 Enable The root Account
After the reboot you can login with your previously created username (e.g. admin). Because we must run all the steps from this tutorial as root user, we must enable the root account now. Run
sudo passwd root
and give root a password. Afterwards we become root by running
4 Install the SSH Server
Ubuntu does not install OpenSSH by default, therefore we do it now. Run
apt-get install ssh openssh-server
You will be prompted to insert the installation CD again.
5 Configure The Network
Because the Ubuntu installer has configured our system to get its network settings via DHCP, we have to change that now because a server should have a static IP address. Edit /etc/network/interfaces and adjust it to your needs (in this example setup I will use the IP address 192.168.0.100):
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
Then restart your network:
Then edit /etc/hosts. Make it look like this:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
Configure the hostname:
Both should show server1.example.com. If they do not, reboot the system:
shutdown -r now
again. Now they should show server1.example.com. From now on you can use an SSH client such as PuTTY and connect from your workstation to your Ubuntu server and follow the remaining steps from this tutorial.
6 Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and update your Linux installation
Comment out the CD and enable some of the other repositories. It should look like this:
Then run these two commands:
7 Install Some Software
Now we install a few packages that are needed later on. Run
apt-get install binutils cpp cpp-4.0 flex gcc gcc-4.0 libarchive-zip-perl libc6-dev libcompress-zlib-perl libdb4.3-dev libpcre3 libpopt-dev linux-kernel-headers lynx m4 make ncftp nmap openssl perl perl-modules unzip zip zlib1g-dev autoconf automake1.9 libtool bison autotools-dev g++
apt-get install libpng12-dev libjpeg62-dev libfreetype6-dev libssl-dev libxml2-dev libxml2
It is a good idea to synchronize the system clock with an NTP (network time protocol) server over the internet. Simply run
apt-get install ntp ntpdate
8 Install Vtiger
Place CD with vtigercrm-5.0.2.bin in the cdrom drive. And copy thebin file on a new directory /vtiger:
Grant execute permission to run the vtigercrm-5.0.2.bin file:
chmod 777 vtigercrm-5.0.2.bin
Run the vtigercrm-5.0.2.bin file as given below:
Please read the license agreement and enter Y to start the installation process or N to abort the installation.
Press Y key to install the Apache when the following message is displayed: Do you want to install Apache 2.0.50 that is bundled with vtiger?
Specify the absolute path for installing the Apache when the following message is displayed: Specify the absolute path for installing vtiger CRM (for example /home/vtiger) and then press ENTER.
Press Y key to create a new directory if it does not exist, when the following message is displayed: Please type yes (y) or no (n): /home/
directory does not exist. Create it now?
Specify the Apache port number when the following message is displayed: Specify the port where you wish to start Apache:
I used the standard: 80
To install the MySQL follow the procedure given below:
Press Y key to install the MySQL when the following message is displayed: Do you want to install the MySQL 4.0.20 that is bundled with vtiger CRM?
Specify the MySQL port number, user name, and password.
If the port you have specified is free, installation process will continue, otherwise specify a different port. I used the standard: 3306
Installation details, such as Apache, MySQL, PHP, and GD library are displayed. Press C to continue or Q to abort the installation.
Installation process takes approximately 5 minutes.
Press Y to start the vtiger CRM server immediately when the following message is displayed: Do you want to start the vtigerCRM server?
Otherwise, you can start the server by running the startvTiger.sh file present under the /bin directory.
9 Configuring the vtiger CRM Server
1. Start the Web Browser and enter /vtigerCRM/index.php in location bar.
2. In the Registration page, complete the product registration (optional). Click the Next button.
3. In the System Check page, PHP, MySQL database, config.php, directories that have read/write permissions, and GD graphics library version status are displayed. Click the Next button. Note: Please ensure that all the directories have the read/write permission; otherwise, you cannot work with features that require file upload and download.
4. In the Database Configuration page, enter the appropriate values for Database and Site Configuration sections.
• Host Name (mandatory)
– By default, Host Name is set as: .
Please do not change the port number as it is added during installation.
• User Name (mandatory)– vtiger (Non-editable).
• Password (optional)– currently Non-editable.
• Database Name (mandatory)– vtiger (Non-editable).
• URL (mandatory) – Enter the host name. By default, it is http://.
• path (mandatory) – By default, this is the path where vtiger CRM is installed.
• Path to Cache Directory (must be writable) - By default, this is cache/. This folder is used to store the files, such as attachments, and import/export- related files temporarily.
• username – By default, the user name is set as admin.
• admin password (mandatory) – By default, the password is set as admin. You can change password after logging in to the vtiger CRM.
• email address – Enter the administrator’s E-mail address.
5. In the Confirm System Configurationpage, review the configuration information. If you want to change the details, click the Change button. If you want to populate some data, select the Also populate demo data? check box. Now click the Create button.
6. In the Create Config File page, click the Next button.
7. In the Create Database Tables page, the created database tables are displayed. Click the Finish button to complete the installation process.
8. In the Login page, by default the User Name field is set as admin. In Password field, enter the admin password you have set during installation process. Once you logged in successfully, your vtiger CRM launches as given below: