Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 19th January 2007, 22:05

Send a message via MSN to martinfst Send a message via Skype™ to martinfst
Question Deleting a co-domain does not clear all entries?

I try to create a co-domain to test a site before moving all dns entries to the new server, so my setup is:

DNS:
www.domain.tld --> old server
www2.domain.tld --> new server (ISPC based)

I create a co-domain www2. Unfortunately is does not show up. In the apache2/vhost directory, I find the www2 ServerAlias in a file Vhosts_ispconfig.conf with a timestamp. In the Vhosts_ispconfig.conf without a timestamp www2 is gone, but the change date_time of both files are the same. So, it looks like it gets added, but also immediately removed.

So, I thought I remove all www2 entries in ISPC, do-domain, dns all cleared, also empty-d the recycle bin. Then start from fresh.

Now I get an error entry already exists. Looking for www2 in /etc/bind shows that the rDNS file still holds the www2 entries. So, up to the database.... and yes www2 is in there also. Looks like the delete function of codomain does not clear all entries? Any suggestions? Insight? Am I on the wrong track?
Sponsored Links
Old 20th January 2007, 12:28
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,332 Times in 4,184 Posts

Hi Martin, the copies of Vhosts_ispconfig.conf where created when ISPConfig can not restart your apache webserver due to a misconfiguration, it then creates a copy of the file Vhosts_ispconfig.conf with date appended and uses the latest working version of Vhosts_ispconfig.conf.

To find the isuue:

1) Rename Vhosts_ispconfig.conf to Vhosts_ispconfig.conf.save
2) Rename the latest version of Vhosts_ispconfig.conf with a date appended to Vhosts_ispconfig.conf
3) run:

httpd -t

and post the error message here, in case you dont know the answer already when you read the error

To your bind error. Co-domains and BIND are not connected directly. If you want to delete a A-Record, use the DNS-Manager.
Old 20th January 2007, 15:02

Thanks Till,

one part solved. The reason for ISPConfig not wanting to add the co-domain anymore was due to the fact that for another domain the SSL certificate file was missing. So I generated once the (selfsigned) cert, worked oke during testing and left it. I wasn't working on that domain with SSL specifically, just working on adding mail users / aliases to the domain with the SSL file error. Must have touched a key in the SSL part, because it used to work

The bind problem with a co-domain www2 is a bigger problem.
I removed to co-domain, emptied (all) the recycle bins and try to add with the DNS manager www2. I immediately get the error:
Code:
There is already an A Record entry for this host in this zone
Looking in /etc/bind, and grepping for www2, I only see this specific www2.domain.tld in the rDNS, not in the normal DNS files.
Code:
pri.nnn.nnn.nnn.in-addr.arpa:122       PTR     www2.domain.tld.
Could the previous error/problem and my tweaking around have 'corrupted' the database? I looked at the database, but I couldn't find quickly how the relation between hostname and domain is stored. It seems be be something with doc_id, but it's not clear to me (yet). Any tip?
Old 20th January 2007, 15:21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Could the previous error/problem and my tweaking around have 'corrupted' the database? I looked at the database, but I couldn't find quickly how the relation between hostname and domain is stored. It seems be be something with doc_id, but it's not clear to me (yet). Any tip?
I dont think so.

Please check if there is a A-Record for www2 for this domain in the DNS-Manager. If not, check all recycle bins of the dns manager if there is a www2 A-record.

Generally, co-domains have nothing to do with your BIND configuration. Only records from the DNS_mnagaer where written in the BIND configuration. The only connection between co-domains and bind is, that a A-RECORD can be added automatically within the DNS-Manager (not directly to the bind configuration, it is added within the ISPConfig interface in the DNS-Manager part) by selecting the create DNS checkbox for the co-domain.
Old 20th January 2007, 15:33

Yeah, I know, so I checked and double checked the recycle bins. All are empty. Then I tried with a www3 A record in DNS manager. No juice. I added and deleted a www3 before. Then I went for a www5 record. Yeah, can make that!

Like I said, there's no www2 or www3 record in /etc/bind (except for the rDNS), So I'm really

I'll continue my search and let you knwo what I find.

This setup is just for me, transferring sites to the new server. I have www pointing to the old server, and testing the site with www2 pointing to the new server. If oke, then I'll change the DNS of www (with ISPConfig) to point to the new server and I'll delete the DNS & co-domain www2 (or www5). But I'd really like to know why it's complaining about an existing record which is not there at all. Time for GhostBusters........
Old 20th January 2007, 15:43
Super Moderator

Do you have any www2 records in the database table dns_a? (do not delete them manually if you find them!)
Old 20th January 2007, 16:12

I won't delete them
I have used www2 on 11 domains to be able to use the earlier described trick. Here's a select from dns_a for all www2, www3 and www5 records. I probably need some join to match this with the domains.... I only added www3 and www5 to the domain I'm having problems with.

Code:
doc_id  doctype_id     host     ip_adresse
  10      1018         www2     nnn.nnn.nnn.120
  23      1018         www2     nnn.nnn.nnn.121
  31      1018         www2     nnn.nnn.nnn.122
  35      1018         www2     nnn.nnn.nnn.122
  43      1018         www2     nnn.nnn.nnn.122
  48      1018         www2     nnn.nnn.nnn.122
  53      1018         www2     nnn.nnn.nnn.122
  58      1018         www2     nnn.nnn.nnn.122
  64      1018         www2     nnn.nnn.nnn.122
  66      1018         www2     nnn.nnn.nnn.122
  71      1018         www2     nnn.nnn.nnn.122
  75      1018         www3     nnn.nnn.nnn.122
  85      1018         www5     nnn.nnn.nnn.122
Old 20th January 2007, 21:53

Thumbs up Found it

ISPConfig is doing what it is supposed to do and although I just bought new glasses last year I might require new ones

Like Till suggested: The problem with a www2 record staying behind was indeed due to a not empty recycle bin in the DNS manager. I overlooked it, because it's opposite to the location of recycle bins in other areas of ISPConfig. Here it's on top of the entries, everywhere else it's at the bottom. Duh.
Attached Images