Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 30th December 2006, 07:57

Default DNS, a little confused....

i am a little bit confused with the dns server. i followed the traditional dns how to, i edited my named.conf put the information based on the traditional how to, created my zone files and reveresed files. by the way on my named.conf files i did not erased the following zone localdomain.zone, localhost.zone, named.broadcast, named.zero. and then when i dig my ip address it shows the questions which contains the ip address and on te answer question it shows the reversed address and the ptr. at the time of my installation i cannot dig the hostname because it is not pointing to my box yet (the tld is still parked to the registry and i am using the ip address for my testing), because my boss want me to finished the set-up first before he can changed everything in the registry.
can you enlighten me with the dns. did i made a right moved on my configuration? right now i formated the linux box. maybe if i can get an answer with you i will still insist to use the linux box as our dns server. thank you very much.......
Sponsored Links
Old 31st December 2006, 20:00
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coe_pal
at the time of my installation i cannot dig the hostname because it is not pointing to my box yet (the tld is still parked to the registry and i am using the ip address for my testing), because my boss want me to finished the set-up first before he can changed everything in the registry.
For now you can add the hostname to the hosts file (/etc/hosts) until you change it in DNS.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 4th January 2007, 04:47

thanks falko.....