Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 12th January 2006, 00:09

My one big issue with ISPConfig is the setup, that's it. Otherwise it's fantastic, and I'm very grateful good ppl are working on it. Are y'all German, btw?

Anyway, my suggestion would be that if the user has not fullfilled some requirement, for instance if xyz.domain.dom does not resolve to anything, warn the user and allow them to 1. update their DNS, or 2. choose a different hostname before proceeding. Another for instance is if the MySQL pass doesn't match, allow the user a couple of chances to retype it. Finally, if the install MUST abort, have it clean up the install files automagically.

That's all I have to say, other than thanks for putting together such an awesome package. This thing has some great features and potential for future growth. I've suggested it to our sysadmin, as we host DNS, web, email, and ftp, and currently enter EVERYTHING by hand. While it's fun to edit raw zone files, it would be nice to give customers an interface to do it instead.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Old 12th January 2006, 01:17
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,722 Times in 2,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heftigrat
Are y'all German, btw?
The core development team is German, that's right.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 12th January 2006, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
The core development team is German, that's right.
Fantastic! Those crazy Germans, what will they think of next?

You might want to sticky this thread, roadmaps are very nice.
Old 13th January 2006, 03:26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heftigrat
Fantastic! Those crazy Germans, what will they think of next?
Winning the FIFA World Cup!

Old 16th January 2006, 05:49

Send a message via Yahoo to nveid Send a message via Skype™ to nveid

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Mailserver: exim as default.
Why? Exim is easier to configure and install then postfix e.g. no SASL needed for smtp auth,
Personally I find postfix /much/ easier to configure than exim, and I thought authentication for smtp SASL requirement was configurable?
Quote:
maildrop not needed for sql based mailquota
I believe postfix-vda covers the quotas, http://web.onda.com.br/nadal/, which is also a debian package. I've been using it for awhile and it works well.

Quote:
, for SQL based autoresponders i
have not found a solution for postfix at all (please correct me if you know one).
I haven't tried this personally but I believe yaa does the trick, and its a debian package as well, http://frost.ath.cx/software/yaa/.
Old 16th January 2006, 08:42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nveid
Personally I find postfix /much/ easier to configure than exim, and I thought authentication for smtp SASL requirement was configurable?
Postfix will also be supported, don't worry about that.

Quote:
I believe postfix-vda covers the quotas, http://web.onda.com.br/nadal/, which is also a debian package. I've been using it for awhile and it works well.
I use this patch myself in this tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_po..._quota_courier, but I think it might be a bit of a problem for the average user to apply this patch. Of course we'll publish instructions on how to do it, but it will still be a problem for some...

Old 16th January 2006, 09:45
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,216 Times in 4,089 Posts

Quote:

I haven't tried this personally but I believe yaa does the trick, and its a debian package as well, http://frost.ath.cx/software/yaa/.
One problem with patches is that we do not only need debian packages. We need at least Fedora 3 + 4, SuSe 9.3 - 10, RedHat 9 plus RH Enterprise packages and as Falko mentioned, many users wont be able to configure a complex patched system and keep it up to date. So we had to chose Exim as default, its easier to setup and compile for the average user.
Old 22nd February 2006, 16:50

Default What about Antivirus Spam and Firewall solutions ?

Is there any shift in these programs or the way they will be configured in ISPC3 ? It would be nice people can choose all sorts of solutions them selfs (Free and Commersial) Well i never tryed a different solution myself. But i really like experiment with different tools such as VuurMuur, ASSP, Multiple Antivirus solutions.

Just a thougt

Ovis
Old 22nd February 2006, 17:15
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,216 Times in 4,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovis
Is there any shift in these programs or the way they will be configured in ISPC3 ?
Yes. Most daemons will get their configuration directly out of the mysql database. But we wont stop the ISPConfig 2 development when ISPConfig 3 is released, so noone has to migrate their server to ISPConfig 3.

Quote:
It would be nice people can choose all sorts of solutions them selfs (Free and Commersial) Well i never tryed a different solution myself. But i really like experiment with different tools such as VuurMuur, ASSP, Multiple Antivirus solutions.
ISPConfig 3 will be much more modularized then ISPConfig 2. I think it will be possible to plugin additional modules easily.
Old 16th February 2007, 17:55

Yea ISPConfig is great though i think it should be made more user orientated that site orientated. So one client/user should get a number of domains and subdomains, a number of FTP accounts, a number of SQL accounts. So the user should have a limit for the whole account not each site, this way i could give user 100mb of space between 2 sites and one FTP account for all the sites. Something like that, just an idea

Alex,