Old 8th January 2007, 16:29

Default Failover Webserver

I have 2 webservers on 2 separate datacentres. On each datacentre, I have a loadbalancer, which redirects any web request to the appropriate webserver.

Basically, Loadbalancer in DC1 (Main datacentre) will redirect all http request to webserver in DC1, while Loadbalancer in DC2 will redirect all http request to webserver in DC2.

The reason is simply should the connections to DC1 be interrupted due to some fault, the roundrobin DNS that is setup will redirect all traffic to the Loadbalancer in DC2. We have managed to get this working fine.

My issue is getting the webserver in DC2 to mirror the content of the webserver files, ie. html, php, etc... from the webserver in DC1. Is there any application/program/daemon that I can use to do this?

Both servers will be running Fedora Core 5, with Apache2, PHP5 and MySQL 5.0, with ISPConfig as the control panel.

Any help/tips/suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 8th January 2007, 16:34

Send a message via MSN to martinfst Send a message via Skype™ to martinfst

Depends how your sites are created. For flat file sites, rsync might do the trick. Database driven sites a a lot more difficult to replicate.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:39

Thanks for the reply.

Basically, its just the files for the all sites, eg. html. php, jpg, gif, etc... We have sorted the issues with mySQL as we have 3 separate servers running mySQL cluster, ie. 1 mgmt and 2 storage nodes.

I have heard of rsycn but can it mirror contents from multiple folders on the main server?
Old 8th January 2007, 17:02

Send a message via MSN to martinfst Send a message via Skype™ to martinfst

You can use this tutorial. Just create multiple entries for every website you want to sync or wrap it in some script to traverse to you "home" directory.
Old 8th January 2007, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfst
You can use this tutorial. Just create multiple entries for every website you want to sync or wrap it in some script to traverse to you "home" directory.
Thanks. Its exactly what I needed.