Old 11th December 2006, 22:54

So lets get this clear. If I add in IPv6 support and that code is merged into ISPConfig it will never be part of the paid version of 42goISP ?

After all you say the license for ISPConfig is the BSD license so that means you can't add that code into a non-bsd license product because that will violate the license agreement.

Its not people like me. I am talking strictly licensing issues here. I don't want to contribute open source code that will be licensed under the BSD only to fall into another spin off program that isn't free. That will violate my license as well.

Last edited by sgrayban; 11th December 2006 at 22:58.
Sponsored Links
Old 11th December 2006, 23:06
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,169 Times in 4,053 Posts

The BSD license allows it to use the code in free and non free software, as long as the copyright is not removed and the authors of the code where not made liable for the software. We dont accept any code for ISPconfig core that is not under the BSD license or has any additional licensing requirements. This is valid for the code that we contribute and for all code that is contributed by others.

If you dont want to contribute code under the BSD, dont do it. Its up to you to write your own IPv6 implementation and not contribute it. But you should think that you use software on your server that others have given you for free.
Old 11th December 2006, 23:16

Free is free...

If you are going to use the free code that developers contribute and then you take that code and put it into a non-free version that sounds like your getting free work to me.

The contributors don't get any royalties from it and the only one making the money is 42go.

I am sure this post will ruffle your feathers as well but it's not intended. I just want you to think about what you're saying here.
Old 11th December 2006, 23:37
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,169 Times in 4,053 Posts

Quote:
If you are going to use the free code that developers contribute and then you take that code and put it into a non-free version that sounds like your getting free work to me.

The contributors don't get any royalties from it and the only one making the money is 42go.
42go does not contain code contributed by others to the ISPConfig project, I told you that already.

Looks to me like you havent read my above posts. If you dont understand the BSD license, please have a look here:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

Quote:
I am sure this post will ruffle your feathers as well but it's not intended. I just want you to think about what you're saying here.
Please write your own IPv6 implementation and keep it. When we write the IPv6 implementation for ISPConfig, we release it under the BSD license as usual.