Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 11th December 2006, 19:46

One more thing.

When I was talking (email) to one of the Hotmail admins some time ago, he told me NOT to use any words with TEST in the email, as it would also set some "flags"

small quote from the email:

Quote:
Please confirm that your emails comply with MSN Hotmails technical standards.
This information can be found at: http://advertising.msn.com/adproducts/Email_TechStd.asp.

Also, one thing I see that you have updated your SPF record.
This will not usually get your mails filtered but since we do filter based on reputation of the senders domain rather then IP address, this will positively impact your reputation.
This will take 24-48 hours for it to replicate throughout MSN Hotmail.
After that time period please send us three mails to randomtestacct@hotmail.com.
Remember not to include the word "TEST" in the subject line or in the body of the mails.
Also, try to make the mails exactly the same as the ones that would originate from your mail server.
Once you have done that please reply back to us with all 3 of the subject lines of the mails.
Thank you very much and I appreciate your time and effort I understand that this type of issue can be frustrating especially from your standpoint.

Thanks again.

Thank you,

name-removed.

MSN Hotmail Domain Support
Sponsored Links
Old 13th December 2006, 12:59

Unhappy Frustrated!!!

Hi guys

This was my discovery that if i send mail through UebiMiau, squirrelmail and outlook express it is receieved as spam or junk mail on the repeient and thats using a domain that has a SPF record and a reverse PTR record as well...

but if i use another domain that has no SPF record though UebiMiau and squirrelmail not outlook express it is recieved as a normal email and goes into the inbox and this is sometimes as well

now my question is what do i need to do so that my mail is delivered properly to the inbox on both yahoo and hotmail... and for the record does it mean that i will have to go through the same process everytime i configure a new domain?
Old 13th December 2006, 13:14

Could you paste just the _headers_ from any of those emails that get tagged as bulk and junk ? I don't need to see the email address or content.

I would need to see both to figure out why you're getting this issue.
Old 19th December 2006, 13:37

Default Hope this helps!!

X-Apparently-To: (myaddy)@yahoo.com via 209.191.68.173; Wed, 13 Dec 2006 08:53:15 -0800
X-YahooFilteredBulk: IP address of server
X-Originating-IP: Ipadress of ISPConfig
Return-Path: <domain off ispconfig>
Authentication-Results: mta565.mail.mud.yahoo.com from=domain off ispconfig; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
Received: from IP of the server (EHLO nameof machine) Ip of the server by mta565.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Wed, 13 Dec 2006 08:53:15 -0800
Received: from A Record Address (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]) by name of machine (Postfix) with ESMTP id 8C9391B778B for <(myaddy)@yahoo.com>; Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:35:09 +0200 (SAST)
Received: from 192.68.1.87 (SquirrelMail authenticated user web2_mailadmin) by A record of the ISPCONFIG server where squirrelmail is running with HTTP; Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:35:09 +0200 (SAST)
Message-ID: <4100.192.68.1.87.1166020509.squirrel@domain of ispconfig>
In-Reply-To: <101815.91519.qm@web34809.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
References: <101815.91519.qm@web34809.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:35:09 +0200 (SAST)
Subject: Re: Running at ya!!
From: Mail from ISPCOFIG Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To: <(myaddy)@yahoo.com>
Reply-to: domain off ispconfig
User-Agent: SquirrelMail/1.4.8
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Importance: Normal
Content-Length: 147
Old 19th December 2006, 13:52

2 things I see that yahoo thinks its junk.

1) X-YahooFilteredBulk: IP address of server
2) Authentication-Results: mta565.mail.mud.yahoo.com from=domain off ispconfig; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)

For problem 1, I wouldn't know why unless you gave your IP out. Its no big secret since you are emailing from it.

For problem 2, This is because Yahhoo refusees to use SPF records because they sponsor the rival of SPF which is DomanKeys. DomainKeys is known to be buggy and fail when it shouldn't whereas SPF never fails unless its 'admin error'.

My best guess is that your IP block has been tagged for spamming... That doesn't mean YOUR ip is but rather the WHOLE ip block. EG; a /16 or /24 class
Old 19th December 2006, 13:56

BTW good luck with ISPConfig... I went to Virtualmin Pro which is alot more friendly to systems then this program was. ISPConfig ate my websites up after a upgrade to the dev version and if its going to do that then its a waste of time for me.
Old 19th December 2006, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrayban
BTW good luck with ISPConfig... I went to Virtualmin Pro which is alot more friendly to systems then this program was. ISPConfig ate my websites up after a upgrade to the dev version and if its going to do that then its a waste of time for me.
Maybe the reason of the upgrade going wrong was that you used a dev (development (unstable)) version?

Quote:
This is a development version which may be unstable. DO NOT USE IT ON PRODUCTION SYSTEMS! Using the development versions and updating from a stable version to a development version may lead to errors.
I've tested Virtualmin Pro, and I think that for me it was a waste of time, as I did allready have a good working system.

Last edited by edge; 19th December 2006 at 14:20.
Old 19th December 2006, 14:47
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,647 Times in 4,457 Posts

Quote:
The ISPConfig installer and updater does not contain any code that can change your websites, so you will have to search the problem somewhere else. The installer modifies only files in /root/ispconfig, /home/admispconfig and in the ISPConfig mysql database and I guess you do not host sites in one of these directories.
Old 19th December 2006, 18:20

X-YahooFilteredBulk: 196.211.246.13

My best guess is that your IP block has been tagged for spamming... That doesn't mean YOUR ip is but rather the WHOLE ip block. EG; a /16 or /24 class

wouldn't that mean that every single mail sent from this IP block will be recognized as spam but the thing is some other mail is recognized as Normal mail like if i send mail through Microsoft Outlook??

What would cause that?
Old 20th December 2006, 14:37
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimele
wouldn't that mean that every single mail sent from this IP block will be recognized as spam
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimele
but the thing is some other mail is recognized as Normal mail like if i send mail through Microsoft Outlook??
If the mail is sent through a mail server in that subnet, it would still be tagged as spam.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: