Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13th September 2006, 20:29
zimele zimele is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Bind9 Master/Slave DNS System

HI All

I'm working with the Debian Master/slave DNS system HOWTO
I'm using Debian 3.1
and i'm using ftp.de.debian.org

to source my files

I'm having a number problems with the BIND9 Master/Slave System

I get stuck in the begining

after adding
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

to my sources.list file and then running
cd ~/lsb-base/
apt-get -y build-dep lsb-base
apt-get source lsb-base -b
dpkg-i lsb-base*.deb


it has a problem in the
apt-get -y build-dep lsb-base

E: Build-Depends dependency for lsb cannot be satisfied because no available versions of package debhelper can satisfy version requirements

and the second when i decided to leave those 2 steps outs (LSB-Base and BIND9) i just ran the apt-get install bind 9 and bind was installed but now after all that when i try to run /etc/init.d/bind9 restart after installoing on the master and the slave i get this error

Stopping domain name service: namedrndc: connect failed: connection refused

and i read that i need to change the settings on /etc/default/bind9
from the bind user to nobody and i did that and still no luck i still get the same error even after restarting the machine many a time and my other problem is that the zones are not copied from one machine to another could that be because of lsb-base not being installed correctly

after including these 2 lines in /etc/bind/named.conf.options
dnssec-enable yes;
dnssec-keygen -a hmac-md5 -b 128 -n host linux.lan

and running the named-checkconf command i get this error
/etc/bind/named.conf.options:22: unknown option 'dnssec-enable'
/etc/bind/named.conf.options:23: unknown option 'dnssec-keygen'

can anyone assist me as to what am i doing wrong!!!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 14th September 2006, 20:31
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,722 Times in 2,563 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimele
HI All

I'm working with the Debian Master/slave DNS system HOWTO
I'm using Debian 3.1
and i'm using ftp.de.debian.org

to source my files

I'm having a number problems with the BIND9 Master/Slave System

I get stuck in the begining

after adding
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

to my sources.list file and then running
cd ~/lsb-base/
apt-get -y build-dep lsb-base
apt-get source lsb-base -b
dpkg-i lsb-base*.deb


it has a problem in the
apt-get -y build-dep lsb-base

E: Build-Depends dependency for lsb cannot be satisfied because no available versions of package debhelper can satisfy version requirements
Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimele
and the second when i decided to leave those 2 steps outs (LSB-Base and BIND9) i just ran the apt-get install bind 9 and bind was installed but now after all that when i try to run /etc/init.d/bind9 restart after installoing on the master and the slave i get this error

Stopping domain name service: namedrndc: connect failed: connection refused

and i read that i need to change the settings on /etc/default/bind9
from the bind user to nobody and i did that and still no luck i still get the same error even after restarting the machine many a time and my other problem is that the zones are not copied from one machine to another could that be because of lsb-base not being installed correctly

after including these 2 lines in /etc/bind/named.conf.options
dnssec-enable yes;
dnssec-keygen -a hmac-md5 -b 128 -n host linux.lan

and running the named-checkconf command i get this error
/etc/bind/named.conf.options:22: unknown option 'dnssec-enable'
/etc/bind/named.conf.options:23: unknown option 'dnssec-keygen'

can anyone assist me as to what am i doing wrong!!!!
Check out the comments at the bottom of http://www.howtoforge.com/howto_bind_chroot_debian . It's a permissions problem.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15th September 2006, 10:13
zimele zimele is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default dnssec-enable yes;dnssec-keygen -a hmac-md5 ...

Thanks for the reply falko

I'm still having trouble here though


after including these 2 lines in /etc/bind/named.conf.options
dnssec-enable yes;
dnssec-keygen -a hmac-md5 -b 128 -n host linux.lan

and running the named-checkconf command i get this error
/etc/bind/named.conf.options:22: unknown option 'dnssec-enable'
/etc/bind/named.conf.options:23: unknown option 'dnssec-keygen'
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16th September 2006, 23:25
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,722 Times in 2,563 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimele
dnssec-keygen -a hmac-md5 -b 128 -n host linux.lan
This one is a command for the shell, it doesn't go into a configuration file.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18th September 2006, 12:02
zimele zimele is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default And Dnssec

And this one?

dnssec-enable yes;
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19th September 2006, 15:00
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,722 Times in 2,563 Posts
Default

Put it into /etc/bind/named.conf.options.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20th September 2006, 09:48
zimele zimele is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default dnssec error

I included this to the end of

/etc/bind/named.conf.options.

and whenever i run named-checkconf

i get an error on the line of that dnssec what must it be


when i add these to the different files i get an error when i try to restart bind9


Add this in your /etc/bind/named.conf on master AND slave:
key "TRANSFER" {
algorithm hmac-md5;
secret "---HASHKEY---";
};

On the master we add the slave ip to /etc/bind/named.conf:
server 192.168.254.2 {
keys {
TRANSFER;
};
};

And on the slave we add the master ip to /etc/bind/named.conf:
server 192.168.254.1 {
keys {
TRANSFER;
};
};

Add to /etc/bind/named.conf.local: zone "linux.lan" {
type slave;
file "/etc/bind/zones/slave_linux.lan";
masters { 192.168.254.1; };
allow-notify { 192.168.254.1; };
};
Final thing needed on BOTH hosts is to add this to /etc/bind/named.conf:
include "/etc/bind/rndc.key";

i did some research and someone actually said that i should change the permissions on my /etc/default/bind9 file from the user bind to nobody and i tried that still no luck
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21st September 2006, 14:11
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,722 Times in 2,563 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimele
i get an error on the line of that dnssec what must it be


when i add these to the different files i get an error when i try to restart bind9
What are the exact error messages?
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22nd September 2006, 08:47
zimele zimele is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

When i copied the DNSSec and included it to the end of

/etc/bind/named.conf.options

and run named-checkconf this is the error that i get

:~# named-checkconf
/etc/bind/named.conf.options:23: unknown option 'dnssec-enable'
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23rd September 2006, 14:51
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,722 Times in 2,563 Posts
 
Default

Did you install Bind exactly as described under "Installing Software" on http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_bin...r_slave_system ?
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Core 4: Error Messages on Fresh Install re CTX/SSL jjw Installation/Configuration 30 6th September 2006 12:16
MySQL time differs from system arsen.gushin Server Operation 7 23rd June 2006 19:33
Updating of the SUSE 9.3 system bogdinator Installation/Configuration 1 7th March 2006 13:45
Real System users exy123 General 2 12th December 2005 10:01
ISPConfig system stoped johnking Installation/Configuration 7 27th October 2005 02:37


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.