Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 18th November 2006, 18:21

Default Problems with "The Perfect Xen 3.0.3 Setup For Debian Sarge"

At first, I tried doing the binary install.

The first problem is that it tells you to do a "depmod 2.6.16.29-xen". When you do, it says "depmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented".

The major problem there is that when I start up the domU, it warns you that it's mounting the ext3 file system as ext2. I already lost one domU in the past because it wasn't ext3 and the file system corrupted when it didn't shut down properly, so I want ext3.

Is there a way to make a ramdisk to get ext3? I tried using the same ramdisk that I'd made for the dom0, and it doesn't boot. Would it work if I copied my /lib/modules/2.6.16.29-xen to the domU?

Ok, now I'm trying the source installation instead. And the first problem I'm encountering is that the list of packages to install says "gcc-3.3", but if you do that you don't actually get the "gcc" binary. You have to install "gcc" as well or instead.

I'll let you know how that goes.
Sponsored Links
Old 19th November 2006, 05:00

Default Second report

I got as far as the part where you build and boot a xen0 kernel, and when it boots it says that it's unable to bring up the eth0 interface. Well, that's not much good to me. Back to the drawing board.
Old 19th November 2006, 17:42
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTomblin
At first, I tried doing the binary install.

The first problem is that it tells you to do a "depmod 2.6.16.29-xen". When you do, it says "depmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented".

The major problem there is that when I start up the domU, it warns you that it's mounting the ext3 file system as ext2. I already lost one domU in the past because it wasn't ext3 and the file system corrupted when it didn't shut down properly, so I want ext3.

Is there a way to make a ramdisk to get ext3? I tried using the same ramdisk that I'd made for the dom0, and it doesn't boot. Would it work if I copied my /lib/modules/2.6.16.29-xen to the domU?

Ok, now I'm trying the source installation instead. And the first problem I'm encountering is that the list of packages to install says "gcc-3.3", but if you do that you don't actually get the "gcc" binary. You have to install "gcc" as well or instead.

I'll let you know how that goes.
Which file system do you use on dom0?

Quote:
I got as far as the part where you build and boot a xen0 kernel, and when it boots it says that it's unable to bring up the eth0 interface. Well, that's not much good to me. Back to the drawing board.
Did you select the correct driver for your network card during
Code:
make menuconfig
? It's also possible there's no driver available yet if you're using a very new network card.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 20th November 2006, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
Which file system do you use on dom0?
ext3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko

Did you select the correct driver for your network card during
Code:
make menuconfig
? It's also possible there's no driver available yet if you're using a very new network card.
The instructions don't say anything about selecting network drivers. It worked fine with the -xen kernel installed as per Chapter 4.1.

BTW: I tried to make a initrd for the xen0 kernel, but I get the message
Code:
yaird error: Could not read output for /sbin/modprobe -v -n --show-depends --set-version 2.6.16.29-xen0 evdev (fatal)
Old 20th November 2006, 12:53
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
ext3.
That's ok.

Quote:
The instructions don't say anything about selecting network drivers.
No, they don't, but you should configure the kernel to your needs during
Code:
make menuconfig
Quote:
This is what I've found: http://kerneltrap.org/node/3891
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...postid=1140501

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 21st November 2006, 22:45

Installing module-init-tools in my domU was all it took to get my binary install working correctly. You might want to make a mention of that in the howto.