Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 6th November 2006, 13:51

Default Type=AAAA: Host not found (...)

Dear all,

After installing ISPConfig and using it for some time now, I get strange returned mail. The error is from my Postfix installation, and says:

Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=a_certain_domain.nl type=AAAA: Host found but no data record of requested type

I already found it is a IPv6-thing, and it frequently happens when the receiving server is behind a router or something that doesn't really comply to the Rules of Ripe. My mail gets returned with this error when mailing companies (a few anyway).

I can live with not being able to e-mail certain companies, but it's rather annoying.
Is there anything at all I can do except hope everybody will wisen up and start using proper DNS-servers?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 7th November 2006, 16:22
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

You can create an AAAA record for a_certain_domain.nl on the authoritative name server for that domain.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 31st January 2007, 19:58

Hi Falko,

Thanks for the reply (I acted on it, and added aaaa-records for my domains, trust me), but the error occurs for domains that are not under my control. I found a config parameter in postfix where I can tell it to only use the IPv4 protocol, and that helps: now i get the error that a type A record for the domain can't be found. If I dig the domain, it promptly returns the A-record. Meanwhile my mail still bounces for completely valid domains...

Thanks, Farao
Old 31st January 2007, 20:04

Send a message via MSN to martinfst Send a message via Skype™ to martinfst

Code:
AAAA
    IPv6 address, code 28. Used for storing an IPv6 128-bit address associated with a domain name. Defined in RFC 3596.
Have you enabled IPv6 support? I know I have fully disabled it, but I guess you need to tell some utilities to use IPv6. With e.g. bind/named you have to add -6 as a parameter during startup.
Old 3rd February 2007, 19:46

I did disable ipv6, and have dug into resolv.conf, which showed me it only searched my own gateway... not good. I added a search lan and a couple of the nameservers my isp runs, and it seems that was what caused the problems.
I don't use the namewerver ispconfig installs, maybe that's part of the problem as well, but since my isp hase good servers, i thought, why bother running my own. maybe I should consider it though...

Thanks for thinking with me,
Farao
Old 4th February 2007, 13:13

Send a message via MSN to martinfst Send a message via Skype™ to martinfst

One of the reasons to run a local DNS server is the ability to do caching. But you need to modify the default settings, to forward at least to the upstream DNS servers, most usually the ones of your ISP.
Old 5th February 2007, 10:49

This is turning into a bit more than a simple ipv6-problem: after changing my resolv.conf, I no longer receive any mail. Sending is fine, but nothing comes back in. mail.log shows connection timeouts on port 25, and a lot of tries from my domainhosters backup mailservers...
Can somebody show me a proper resolv.conf, and tell me to YES or NO activate the dns-server on ispconfig?
Old 5th February 2007, 12:55
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farao
Can somebody show me a proper resolv.conf
This is a valid /etc/resolv.conf:
Code:
nameserver 145.253.2.75
nameserver 193.174.32.18
Quote:
and tell me to YES or NO activate the dns-server on ispconfig?
If you want to run your own DNS servers, activate it; if someone else (e.g. your registrar) manages your DNS records, don't activate it.

Old 5th February 2007, 16:07

Thanks Falko.
Mail bounces back to me with a Too Many Hops error. Can you point me in the richt direction? My mail.log shows me the attempts from my secondairy mailserver to deliver mails. It looks like connections time out, but I don't know how or why... my mail-errorlog shows a couple of logins from an ip on my internal network (probably during a reboot).
Nothing out of the ordinary happened on this system...

Edit---
The plot thickens. In my syslog I see entries like:
Feb 5 20:18:46 atlas postfix/qmgr[9333]: E766C1D426D: to=<sysuser@machine.server.com>, orig_to=<user@domain.nl>, relay=none, delay=28365, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: connect to server.com[IP_HERE]: Connection timed out)

All I changes where hosts and resolv.conf. THat was on feb 3. Since then it's been too quiet in my mailbox.

Last edited by farao; 5th February 2007 at 20:35.
Old 6th February 2007, 13:43
Super Moderator

Quote:
Edit---
The plot thickens. In my syslog I see entries like:
Feb 5 20:18:46 atlas postfix/qmgr[9333]: E766C1D426D: to=<sysuser@machine.server.com>, orig_to=<user@domain.nl>, relay=none, delay=28365, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: connect to server.com[IP_HERE]: Connection timed out)
Can you post the real log message (without replacing IP addresses and hostnames)?

Quote:
All I changes where hosts and resolv.conf. THat was on feb 3. Since then it's been too quiet in my mailbox.
What exactly did you change?