Old 22nd October 2005, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
It looks like there are no PHP4 packages available for Fedora Core 4. So you have to use the PHP5 packages or compile and install PHP manually, which I can not recommend.
I guess I don't have a choice. I will either have to install PHP manually or use another Linux distribution. Without PHP4, I cannot get PHPBB2, nor osCommerce to run.

Can you offer any recommendations on installing PHP4 manually? Last time I used the installation instructions from PHP.net and it did not go so well. This is why I had to reinstall my Fedora server. Would it be better to install Apache seperately, then install PHP4 afterwards?
Sponsored Links
Old 22nd October 2005, 16:02
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

This is how you compile PHP4 (in this case it's 4.3.9) with Apache 1.3:

Code:
tar xvfz php-4.3.9.tar.gz
cd php-4.3.9
./configure --with-apxs=/path/to/apxs --enable-track-vars --enable-sockets --with-config-file-path=/path/to/php.ini --enable-ftp  --with-mysql=/usr 
make
make install
Before running configure, you can find out about all configuration options with
Code:
./configure --help
The /path/to/apxs is important, that integrates PHP into your Apache. For Apache2 it's --with-apxs2=/path/to/apxs2 (I think but I'm not quite sure right now...).

After you've compiled PHP you have to restart Apache.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 22nd October 2005, 16:09

Okay. I plan to install Apache2 first, then I will move to the php.net installation instructions which are relevant to Apache2. Only thing, I will have to change the apxs2 path.

I think I can handle this. At least this will be the first and ONLY Apache install on my system until I install ISPConfig.

Thanks for posting the example...
Old 22nd October 2005, 19:36

It looks like PHP4 installed okay by using:
Code:
./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-track-vars --enable-sockets --with-config-file-path=/etc/php.ini --enable-ftp  --with-mysql

make

make install
After installing, then restarting httpd I tried to search for my php.ini file and could not locate it. Notice above that I used "--with-config-file-path=/etc/php.ini". I couldn't find it in that location either.

I ran updatedb and searched and it only found one instance of php.ini which is in the PHP-4.4.0 directory which is was was uncompressed from the .gz file.

Any idea what happened? Should I ignore it or did I miss something that you can think of?
Old 22nd October 2005, 19:43

BTW, for others reading this thread, I had to install http-devel to get aspx2 before configuring the PHP4 install:
Code:
yum install httpd-devel
Old 22nd October 2005, 20:00

I entered a test .php file to my html directory and opened it in the browser and it seems o be working okay.
Here is the code for the test file test.php:
Code:
<?php

echo phpinfo();

?>
The results:

Code:
PHP Version 4.4.0

System 	                       Linux server1.strec.com 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 #1 Thu Jun 2 22:55:56 EDT 2005 i686
Build Date 	               Oct 22 2005 12:25:30
Configure Command 	'./configure' '--with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-sockets' '--with-config-file-path=/etc/php.ini' '--enable-ftp' '--with-mysql'
Server API 	               Apache 2.0 Handler
Virtual Directory Support 	disabled
Configuration File (php.ini) Path 	/etc/php.ini
PHP API 	                      20020918
PHP Extension 	           20020429
Zend Extension 	            20050606
Debug Build 	              no
Zend Memory Manager    enabled
Thread Safety 	             disabled
Registered PHP Streams 	php, http, ftp
I still don't know why I cannot find the php.ini or php.conf file???
Old 23rd October 2005, 12:24
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctroyp
I ran updatedb and searched and it only found one instance of php.ini which is in the PHP-4.4.0 directory which is was was uncompressed from the .gz file.
Copy that php.ini to /etc and customize it to your needs. php.ini isn't copied automatically to the location you specified using ./configure, it just tells PHP where to look for a php.ini. If it doesn't find one there then PHP uses default values.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 23rd October 2005, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
Copy that php.ini to /etc and customize it to your needs. php.ini isn't copied automatically to the location you specified using ./configure, it just tells PHP where to look for a php.ini. If it doesn't find one there then PHP uses default values.
That was easy enough. Thanks!

I have everything installed now including ISPConfig. Problem is, when I try to access www.mydomain1.com it doesn't open the site. Actually, it doesn't do anything at all; it just stays on the current page I am at--my browser home page. This is what was happening before I had to reinstall???

I can access www.mydomain1.com:81 to get to the ISPConfig panel, phpmyadmin, etc, but I cannot reach the website home page from www.mydomain1.com.

It does the same when I enter the public IP--it doesn't go anywhere even if I enter http://mywanIP:80

I did do a traceroute and it does arrive to my public WAN IP so it looks like the problem is here locally. It must be something in the main Apache install but can't figure out what???

Last edited by ctroyp; 23rd October 2005 at 17:26.
Old 23rd October 2005, 17:42
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,385 Times in 4,231 Posts

Some questions:

When you setup the website www.mydomain1.com in ISPConfig, you used your internal IP?

When you try to reach the website from inside your network, the DNS system resolves your external router IP? The port 80 is forwared from your router to your ISPConfig server?

If this is all OK, then your router might have a spoofing protection and blocks these requests that come from Internal IP => External IP => Internal IP.

But you can try this: On your windows client PC (I assume its windows?), that is inside your network, find the hosts file.

On my PC its in:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Add a line like this:

Code:
192.168.0.55   www.mydomain1.com
where the IP is your internal IP and the domain is your domain. This will override the normal DNS resolution for this PC for the domain. Then try to reach the domain in the browser on this PC.
Old 23rd October 2005, 18:08

Quote:
Some questions:

When you setup the website www.mydomain1.com in ISPConfig, you used your internal IP?
Yes, 192.168.2.50, which is the private IP of my Fedora server.

Quote:
When you try to reach the website from inside your network, the DNS system resolves your external router IP? The port 80 is forwared from your router to your ISPConfig server?
Port 80 is forwarded to 192.168.2.50, yes. When I try to access 192.168.2.50, the Routers WAN IP, www.mydomain1.com, or any other mix on port 80, nothing happens--it doesn't even try to load a page. When I try from another computer on my network, I get "The page cannot be displayed" message. I presume it is the same trying to access from outside my network.

Quote:
If this is all OK, then your router might have a spoofing protection and blocks these requests that come from Internal IP => External IP => Internal IP.

But you can try this: On your windows client PC (I assume its windows?), that is inside your network, find the hosts file.

On my PC its in:

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Add a line like this:

Code:
192.168.0.55   www.mydomain1.com
where the IP is your internal IP and the domain is your domain. This will override the normal DNS resolution for this PC for the domain. Then try to reach the domain in the browser on this PC.
Yes, I have a WXP client. I tried it and I still get page not found...

On my Fedora server (where ISPConfig is installed), under network configuration, what should be in my hosts file: 127.0.0.1, or 192.168.2.50? Should I do something similar that you explained for the WXP client?
Closed Thread