Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Tips/Tricks/Mods

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 24th January 2007, 13:39
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morons
Sounds like good advice, Plse advise witch apt-based distro are you useing and witch other I need to look at.
I'm using Debian on my servers, but Ubuntu is a good choice as well.

Quote:
I assumed that Mandriva is ok as you provide the Perfect Setup for it.
It is a good distribution, but apt is superior to rpm.

Quote:
I also noted you using apt on some Perfect Mandirva, but changed back to urpmi at the next version.
I got lots of negative feedback from Mandriva users (fanboys?) saying that apt is not needed when you have "such a good tool as urpmi", etc. I also used apt for a SuSE and a Fedora howto, but SuSE/Fedora users didn't like that, too, so I decided to use each distro's original package management tools again.
From many years of experience I know that apt is better, but because of such negative feedback I leave it to the users to find it out themselves.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
The Following User Says Thank You to falko For This Useful Post:
Telesat (8th September 2007)
Sponsored Links
Old 24th January 2007, 13:52

ROFLMAO !

Thank you for your candour in this matter. I do however know that there are basic differences in directory / folder layout between debian-like and Redhat-like distro's - To be honest I'll be lost in the debian one, however I believe debian to be the favourite amongst many "Linutic's. I will do my best to adopt on this server and maybe it works for me better - Here goes - Perfect debian

P.S. I'm Proudly South African and Ubuntu is the local brand but... I duno
Old 25th January 2007, 09:46

Default Great Script for username as domainname will not work

Hello to all,

I'm new here an first I have to say ISPconfig ist a really good configuration tool an the scripts in this thread are very good for customers. Thanks for this.
But, yesterday I have tested the versions are posted here. I take the script from Desmondk. It works, but courier does not accept the Username as "xy@xy.xy" If I use the origin name from ispconfig everything works.
If I take the script from rojozak the output is empty in "userdb".

My System is a Debian 3.1 My setup has followed the perfect Debian Setup for ispconfig.

For any suggestions many thanks.

ars
Old 25th January 2007, 13:54

Yes look at the script and the loaction of the userdb and look were your courier installed, /etc/userdb vs /etc/courier/userdb I guess to make courier work is to use the userdb installed by courier, thus chang the script to generate it at the correct path.
Old 26th January 2007, 11:45

Default Great Script for username as domainname will not work

Hello Morons,

thanks for your answer.
I have changed the script from rozojak, so that the script writes the output to "/etc/courier/userdb"
The output in the "userdb" as follow:
"test@xyz.de uid=10005|gid=10006|home=/var/www/web6/user/xyx|shell=/dev/null|systempw=xyz|/var/www/www.xyz.de/user/xyz.de/Maildir"
in one line.

After creating the userdb.dat and the userdbshadow.dat with the "makeuserdb" command I cannot login with "user@domain.de"
Is the line in the userdb correct?
In "authdaemonrc" the authuserdb module is activ.

Thanks for your reply

ars
Old 31st January 2007, 12:16

After playing around I installed ubuntu 6.10. It is / was fun - Mandriva does a Lot more to make things GUI ubuntu server has no gui install and lots more files need to be edited [I detest using other editors other than vim in cases like crontab -e some other wordstar like editor loads instead of vim] also the strain of vi is old and causes me to make errors! However the system is fast [Mandriva is compiled for 586 ubuntu 386] but i'm adapting as i find more application support from developers like backuppc that wes written in debian that is now easy to locate the config files and stuff without effort.
But thats early times and my opinion. The problems is superficial and can be adopted to.

I did a new install and found Exactly the results of member ars,
Code:
root@beta:/etc# telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Hello there.
user test@domain.tld
+OK Password required.
pass test
-ERR Login failed.
quit
+OK Better luck next time.
the /etc/courier/userdb.dat does contain
Code:
test@domain.tld uid=10002|gid=10001|home=/var/www/web1/user/domain.tld_test|shell=/bin/false|systempw=mXsanitizedz2h3YjVU|/var/www/www.domain.tld/user/domain.tld_test/Maildir1
However the normal works
Code:
root@beta:/etc# telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Hello there.
user domain.tld_test
+OK Password required.
pass test
+OK logged in.
I'm still searching logfiles to try and locate the issue.
Old 31st January 2007, 12:22

Found in /var/log/mail.info
Code:
Jan 31 12:09:17 beta courierpop3login: LOGIN FAILED, user=test@domain.tld, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
Jan 31 12:09:32 beta courierpop3login: LOGOUT, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
and the next one
Code:
Jan 31 12:12:57 beta courierpop3login: LOGIN, user=domain.tld_test, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
Jan 31 12:14:20 beta courierpop3login: LOGOUT, user=domain.tld_test, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], top=0, retr=0, rcvd=6, sent=30, time=83
This matches the test above.
In user.log i get what seem to be syptoms
Code:
Jan 31 12:12:57 beta authdaemond: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib/security/pam_foreground.so)
Jan 31 12:12:57 beta authdaemond: PAM [dlerror: /lib/security/pam_foreground.so: undefined symbol: pam_set_data]
Jan 31 12:12:57 beta authdaemond: PAM adding faulty module: /lib/security/pam_foreground.so
I hope to find the solution by googling
Old 9th February 2007, 13:15

Smile Finally Debugged!

I eventually got the debug working, and the problems dissapeared in a jiffy!

http://www.courier-mta.org/authlib/?...authdebug.html

Basically add the line DEBUG_LOGIN=2 to your authdaemonrc config file. Also add *.debug /var/log/debug to /etc/syslog.conf even if there is one saying *.=debug

I set ISPC to use maildir and created some sites.
My system is ubuntu 6.10 [following falko's advice] and ISPC 2.2.9

Last edited by Morons; 9th February 2007 at 13:28. Reason: Removed an silly error also posted!
Old 19th February 2007, 17:45

Default Thanks for your help

Hello Morons,

I've solved the problem.

It was a "copy and paste" Problem.
After the echo command that creates the userdb a tab is needed not a space.
Now it works.

Thanks a lot

ars
Old 20th February 2007, 16:31

Yes...a <Tab> is required immediately following the address in userdb. The biggest problem I had getting this script to work was the proper format of userdb because of copy/paste. Refer to

Code:
man userdb
for the proper format. During testing I would pipe the output to a junk file to check the format before finalizing, comparing to an existing (working) userdb if necessary. That's what finally got me the working script I posted earlier in this thread. It has been working solid in production for over 3 months now with no problems.

Remember though...this does not change your user login for ISPConfig access (ie FTP). That username remains as XXX.DOM_username.