Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Tips/Tricks/Mods

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 29th November 2006, 23:53

Quote:
Originally posted by FarrisGoldstein:

the -d flag for cut is expecting a single character, but the code as displayed in rojozak's post shows multiple spaces for the delimiter. Is this just a formatting error for the forum, and if so what is the actual code I should use for the delimiter on those two lines?
Those are tabs. (The first separator in the table is a tab). Must be the HTML formatting.

Last edited by rojozak; 29th November 2006 at 23:57.
Sponsored Links
Old 29th November 2006, 23:56

So I should replace the whitespace in those two lines with a \t ?
Old 30th November 2006, 01:35

I checked the man page for cut and it appears that the default delimited is tab, so I just got rid of the -d on those two lines. Now, my userdb file appears to be in the right format, but whenever I attempt to auth against it, syslog says "entry not found" when it attempts to read userdb. Any clues?

I'm on debian 3.1 and I followed the "perfect server" howto.
Old 30th November 2006, 02:45

Did you edit authdaemonrc as called for in the opening post and did you execute your script to convert userdb to an actual database? Other than that and retracing the steps from the posts, I wouldn't know what else to suggest.

I did use a lot of echo commands to debug the script and be sure the final userdb met the requirement for the table's format. Otherwise, the origial post is all I used to get it working. - Good luck.
Old 30th November 2006, 07:06

Thanks, I figured it out. Incidentally, the problem I was having this time was similar to the problem I was having with "cut" and the delimiter. I pasted the code straight from the thread, and what should have been a TAB on the final echo of the script to create the userdb file came through as a space. So the userdb wasn't building properly, and in turn makeuserdb wasn't generating a working .dat file.

I'm planning to go to production with ISPConfig next week, but I now have another small concern. I really like this little bit of trickery here to allow "user@domain" usernames for mail, because it's what my customers are used to. However, won't this create a problem if site owners create a user but specify a "username" that is different from the "email" they specify?
Old 1st December 2006, 16:26
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrisGoldstein
I'm planning to go to production with ISPConfig next week, but I now have another small concern. I really like this little bit of trickery here to allow "user@domain" usernames for mail, because it's what my customers are used to. However, won't this create a problem if site owners create a user but specify a "username" that is different from the "email" they specify?
I haven't tried desmondk's patch, but I guess you can use any email address that you allocate to a user. E.g., if you have a user web1_someuser and give him the email addresses info@example.com and someuser@example.com, you can use both email addresses to log in. At least that's the way it works in ISPConfig's Uebimiau webmail package.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 1st December 2006, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
I haven't tried desmondk's patch, but I guess you can use any email address that you allocate to a user. E.g., if you have a user web1_someuser and give him the email addresses info@example.com and someuser@example.com, you can use both email addresses to log in. At least that's the way it works in ISPConfig's Uebimiau webmail package.
Ok, I'm showing my n00b colors here, and I've now looked through the doc but can't find the answer to this one: How would you, through ISPConfig, go about creating a user with more than one email address?

Secondly, even with the answer to that question, I'm pretty sure desmondk's script will not work the way you describe, because of the way it parses the login data to create the userdb.
Old 2nd December 2006, 16:31
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrisGoldstein
Ok, I'm showing my n00b colors here, and I've now looked through the doc but can't find the answer to this one: How would you, through ISPConfig, go about creating a user with more than one email address?
Take a look here: http://ispconfig.org/downloads/manua..._src.htm#4_2_2 -> Email Alias

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 3rd December 2006, 02:18

Thumbs up

Sorry for the late replyt guys. I have been very busy the last few weeks.
Please not that couriers userdb is very sensitive and that it works with tab's and not spaces. Thanks to all the guys that help out with the tread to help other guys get this sorted. I'n my inviroment i make sure that emails is the same as usernames when added to ispconfig.

I am also busy working on a gui frontend for my isp system. All users, ftp , email , dns and apache virtual hosts are read from mysql.

No users get's add to /etc/passwd , everyting is mysql backend driven.

Software used is as folows: smtp : exim
pop3+imap: courier
ftp: pureftp
dns: bind
virus: clamav
spam: dspam (user has own spam corpus to train so no mail spesified as spam wil ever rich user again)
apache: no virtual hosts entry's per domain. ( uses mod_rewrite) so only directory's needs to be created.

All loging of traffic get written to mysql for easy accounting.

Will let you guys know as soon as finished with it. +- 1 month.
Old 3rd December 2006, 11:42
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,651 Times in 4,461 Posts

This looks very similar to the ISPConfig 3 relkease which is developed in SVN.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
Telesat (8th September 2007)