Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 10th October 2005, 22:26

Default Number of allowed domains times 2?

Question - why is the allowed domains for a client or reseller seem to be set times 2? I have, for example a reseller with 10 allowed domains. He sets up a client with 1 allowed domain, but upon saving, the 1 is changed to 2 and the reseller stats shows 2 domains used. If I try and set it to 1 for the client, ISPConfig says that I cannot.

What's the logic behind this and am I missing something?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 10th October 2005, 23:16
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,255 Times in 4,121 Posts

I assume you set up one website (www.domain.com) with a Co-Domain (domain.com). This are 2 Domains.
Old 10th October 2005, 23:20
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts

Whenever you create a web site www.domain.com, the Co-Domain domain.com is added automatically, so that 2 domains are used. You can delete the Co-Domain (you also have to delete it from the recycle bin), and then you can decrease the domain limit to 1.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 10th October 2005, 23:28

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
Whenever you create a web site www.domain.com, the Co-Domain domain.com is added automatically, so that 2 domains are used. You can delete the Co-Domain (you also have to delete it from the recycle bin), and then you can decrease the domain limit to 1.
What is the precise definition of 'Co-Domain'?

In this case, www.domain.com is a hostname, not a domain really. The domain is domain.com with a host named www.domain.com.

So, if www.domain.com is seen as a Co-Domain, then why is mail.domain.com not seen as a Co-Domain, but rather it is seen as a the hostname that it is....?

Confusion lingers.....
Old 10th October 2005, 23:47
Super Moderator

When you create/edit a web site in ISPConfig, you'll notice the tab "Co-Domains". There you can enter additional domains under which you can reach the web site.

Old 10th October 2005, 23:53

Quote:
When you create/edit a web site in ISPConfig, you'll notice the tab "Co-Domains". There you can enter additional domains under which you can reach the web site.
Right, but why is www.domain.com considered a domain rather then the hostname that it really is.

By 'Co-Domain' do you mean subdomain? But still, in most cases, I see the www.domain.com a hostname rather than a domain name.....or subdomain. A subdomain, if www.domain.com, might really be www.sub.domain.com.....

Chris
Old 11th October 2005, 00:01
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone
By 'Co-Domain' do you mean subdomain? But still, in most cases, I see the www.domain.com a hostname rather than a domain name.....or subdomain. A subdomain, if www.domain.com, might really be www.sub.domain.com.....
It's not only subdomains. You can have a web site www.example.com with the Co-Domains example.com, www.example2.com, example2.com, www.mycompany.tld, subdomain.mycompany.tld, etc.

Old 11th October 2005, 00:19

Quote:
It's not only subdomains. You can have a web site www.example.com with the Co-Domains example.com, www.example2.com, example2.com, www.mycompany.tld, subdomain.mycompany.tld, etc.
I concur - partly. www.example.com is a hostname with a domain of example.com. And, www.example2.com is a hostname with example2.com a domain. And, www.company.tld is a hostname with mycompany.tld being the domain.

Partly symantecs I suppose, but with the current 'definition' of a domain in ISPConfig, I need to double what I want for resellers - If I want them to have 10 domains (using my definition), then I need to allocate them 20 in ISPConfig....

Chris
Old 11th October 2005, 00:35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone
I concur - partly. www.example.com is a hostname with a domain of example.com. And, www.example2.com is a hostname with example2.com a domain. And, www.company.tld is a hostname with mycompany.tld being the domain.
We could have named the tab "Hostnames & Domains" or something different, but I think it's too long, and most users don't have an idea what a hostname or domain (or the difference between these) is.

There's a control panel (I think it's CPanel) where a web site is called "Domain" - you see it could be worse...

Old 11th October 2005, 02:06

Quote:
We could have named the tab "Hostnames & Domains" or something different, but I think it's too long, and most users don't have an idea what a hostname or domain (or the difference between these) is.

There's a control panel (I think it's CPanel) where a web site is called "Domain" - you see it could be worse...
Well, mainly I am just trying to figure out what you have here and understand the logic and symantics behind it.

Thanks for the explanations.

Chris