#1  
Old 30th September 2005, 01:28
matehortua matehortua is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: colombia
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default postfix is on openrelay

I installed a suse 9.3 box with the exellent falko guide (the perfect setup)
then i installed ISPconfig and is working without problems.... at this moment

my only problem is that my mail-server POSTFIX is on openrelay (sending mail to other domains) and that is very bad.

what can i do to fix this problem???

tanx
__________________
colombia
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 30th September 2005, 02:04
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts
Default

Why do you think it is an open relay? If you have followed the tutorial then it should not be an open relay.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 5th October 2005, 01:23
matehortua matehortua is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: colombia
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
Why do you think it is an open relay? If you have followed the tutorial then it should not be an open relay.
i think an Open Relay is when th mail server (postfix) sends mail from any domain to any destination.

i think it should restrict the sending of mails to:

mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names

but is not...

i have this line also on the main.cf
relay_domains = $mydestination


can you tell what is the appropiate way to enable on my server the sending of messagges ONLY to my local-host-names??

a lot of tanx
__________________
colombia
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 5th October 2005, 02:16
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matehortua
i think an Open Relay is when th mail server (postfix) sends mail from any domain to any destination.

i think it should restrict the sending of mails to:

mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names

but is not...

i have this line also on the main.cf
relay_domains = $mydestination


can you tell what is the appropiate way to enable on my server the sending of messagges ONLY to my local-host-names??

a lot of tanx
There are 3 cases where your server accepts emails without authentication, but is still not an open relay:
1) You're sending directly from your server, i.e. you're logged in on the server, e.g. on the shell or with a webmail interface.
2) You're sending an email to a recipient who is on the server.
3) You're sending from within a network that is specified in the mynetworks variable in /etc/postfix/main.cf.

If one of these 3 points applies, and you're wondering why you don't need to authenticate: this is normal and does not mean your server is an open relay.

Can you run
Code:
telnet localhost 25
and then issue
Code:
ehlo localhost
and post the output here?
If you see a line starting with 250-AUTH then it should be fine.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 8th October 2005, 01:06
matehortua matehortua is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: colombia
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

#telnet localhost 25

ehlo localhost
250-acuario.ims.com.co
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250 8BITMIME

mmm i didnt see the 250-auth but when i installed (new) it was there .....
i know i didnt change anything except the changes that ISPconfig did.


tanx
__________________
colombia
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 8th October 2005, 01:34
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matehortua
#telnet localhost 25

ehlo localhost
250-acuario.ims.com.co
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250 8BITMIME

mmm i didnt see the 250-auth but when i installed (new) it was there .....
i know i didnt change anything except the changes that ISPconfig did.


tanx
Then do the Postfix configuration again. It's here: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_suse_9.3_p5
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Postfix Header Checks dirk Installation/Configuration 8 30th May 2010 13:38
postfix ISPconfig problem matehortua Installation/Configuration 8 3rd September 2006 17:03
postfix problems. jernis Installation/Configuration 2 16th September 2005 21:14
Error Postfix misterm Server Operation 6 28th August 2005 10:18
Postfix Errors? bolinux General 5 20th August 2005 16:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.