Old 7th October 2005, 22:39

Default Suse 9.3 Mail Server only

I have setup Suse 9.3 with the howto and installed ISPconfig. Everything is running smooth. I only want to use it as a mail server for clients. Does anyone know how I can just create client mail accounts using there domain?
Sponsored Links
Old 8th October 2005, 01:15

you can create them as system users with no login e.g (shell is /bin/false) and empty home you can do all that with Yast.

and when you send a mail to that user it " creates it" as a mail user, you can see a Maildir directory on his /home/user

hope it help
Old 8th October 2005, 03:50

Here is the scenario:

We already host web sites for various cities in our state. Probably over 50. We have had some city managers asking about e-mail service. For example, let's say the city of soandso has a web site that we host under the domain www.cityofsoandso.org. But, let's say they are currently using some free webmail service. They want to be able to send e-mail using there own domain like citymanager@cityofsoandso.org. We want to provide that ability using a Suse 9.3 box.

Am I totally on the wrong path here or what?
Old 8th October 2005, 04:28
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyP
Here is the scenario:

We already host web sites for various cities in our state. Probably over 50. We have had some city managers asking about e-mail service. For example, let's say the city of soandso has a web site that we host under the domain www.cityofsoandso.org. But, let's say they are currently using some free webmail service. They want to be able to send e-mail using there own domain like citymanager@cityofsoandso.org. We want to provide that ability using a Suse 9.3 box.

Am I totally on the wrong path here or what?
You can simply create a new web site in ISPConfig, www.cityofsoandso.org with the Co-Domain cityofsoandso.org - the actual web site can still be hosted elsewhere, no problem. Then you create all users and email addresses on the "User & Email" tab. You then need to create an MX record for the domain cityofsoandso.org pointing to your ISPConfig server.
And your users can use your ISPConfig server as smtp and POP3/IMAP server in their email clients.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: