Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Feature Requests

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 22nd October 2006, 17:55

Default FreeBSD Support

Hello all,

It would be really nice if there was FreeBSD support in the future. I plan on running a few FreeBSD web servers and was hoping ISPConfig had support for it, then checked the website and seems only linux distros are supported so far.

-maddog39

-edit-
Sorry, wrong forum.

Last edited by maddog39; 22nd October 2006 at 18:13.
Sponsored Links
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:25
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,265 Times in 4,129 Posts

Moved the thread

The problem with FreeBSD support is, that we currently have no maintainer for it and as we had FreeBSD support in ISPConfig 1.x, noone used it.
Old 24th October 2006, 01:32

Hmm.. I guess that means I should probably just stick with CentOS 4.x
Old 24th October 2006, 07:29
Local Meanie

or become maintainer for FreeBSD and use it and make it also popular
Old 24th October 2006, 22:43

Yeah, problem is I tried setting up FreeBSD of my windows/linux machine the other day and it keeps stalling during boot (prior to installation) (i dont really understand the whole disk 1, disk 2 thing either), so there's no way I can learn how to use FreeBSD. I am also attempting to Dual Boot this. My comp. currently has Windows XP Pro and Mepis 6.0 on an 80gig drive. I dont even know if BSD has dual boot support.
Old 7th November 2006, 07:43

Wished i had more knowledge of freebsd i would help out in a minute, but i dont. It would be great to see a working version of ispconfig for freebsd .Thers alot of older machines out there running it and it would be a big boost to the bsd folks themselfs.
Old 8th December 2006, 01:19

Lightbulb FreeBSD maintainer

Hi,

Can someone explain what would be needed to be a 'maintainer' of ISPConfig for FreeBSD v6+? I've got DTC working on FreeBSD recently (was messy & a few things, eg server status didn't work correctly) so I'd be interested to try ISPConfig too cause it's got some nice features.

Antonio (aka fireblade)
Old 8th December 2006, 09:55
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,265 Times in 4,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade
Can someone explain what would be needed to be a 'maintainer' of ISPConfig for FreeBSD v6+? I've got DTC working on FreeBSD recently (was messy & a few things, eg server status didn't work correctly) so I'd be interested to try ISPConfig too cause it's got some nice features.
Hi Antonio, if you have FreeBSD, shell-scripting and PHP scripting knowledge you will be able to do the changes that are nescessary to run ISPConfig on FreeBSD.
Old 31st January 2007, 12:06

Hello Till and Falko, I was wondering if you have any kind of "developer docs", I mean, howto's and manuals are nice and all, but I was thinking maybe I might work on a BSD port of ISPConfig (it'd be a great way to learn the ins and outs of BSD and ISPConfig), in which case I would need access to the "real" documentation, where the inner workings of ISPConfig are explained for those who want to tweak it.
At the moment, only the highest-level workings of ISPConfig are clear to me i.e. the dedicated Apache instance, issuing all sorts of commands to manage files, users, permissions, mail server etc. But I'd really like to know this system better, also because in case anything breaks I'd like to be able to fix it myself.
I know that in the worst-case scenario "I have the source, I can fix/learn it myself" but maybe something better is available.
Looking forward to this! Thanks and have a good day.
Old 31st January 2007, 12:36
Local Meanie

Isn't the source code document enough ? *grin*