Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 30th October 2006, 22:51

Send a message via AIM to angussf Send a message via Yahoo to angussf

Default hosts/hostname and MySQL prob in "Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server" setup

I'm trying to follow the step-by-step in "The Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server", but when I get to the "hostname" step, something's not right. I've followed the steps on Page 3 as far as editing /etc/hosts with the static IP address and both the FQDN and the simple hostname (the relevant line is set to

192.168.0.2 myserver.mydomain.ext myserver

), and /etc/hosts just reads "myserver". However, when I type "hostname" and "hostname -f" to test (as on P.3) "hostname" returns just "myserver" while "..-f" returns the FQDN version. What's wrong? I've restarted several times after making these edits (for other reasons).

Code:
root@myserver:~# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.2   myserver.mydomain.ext       myserver

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

root@myserver:~# cat /etc/hostname
myserver

root@myserver:~# hostname
myserver

root@myserver:~# hostname -f
myserver.myddomain.ext
I can get "hostname" to return the FQDN by editing "/etc/hostname" but then "sudo" fails.
[EDIT an hour later: NEVER MIND - by editing /etc/hosts to the FQDN and rebooting, it suddenly started working. Go figure]

Also, and this may be related to the above, I can't follow the second part of setting the MySQL root password successfully. Here's what I see:

Code:
root@myserver:~#
root@myserver:~# mysqladmin -h myserver.myddomain.ext -u root password My.Pwd
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'myserver.myddomain.ext' failed
error: 'Host 'myserver.myddomain.ext' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'
root@myserver:~# mysqladmin -h myserver -u root password My.Pwd
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'myserver' failed
error: 'Host 'myserver.myddomain.ext' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'
When I run "netstatp -tap" it clearly shows mysql running with the correct domain name:
Code:
root@myserver:~# netstat -tap
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 *:mysql                 *:*                     LISTEN     4796/mysqld
tcp        0      0 myserver.mydomain.ext:domain *:*                     LISTEN     3853/named
tcp        0      0 localhost:domain        *:*                     LISTEN     3853/named
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN     3626/sshd
tcp        0      0 localhost:953           *:*                     LISTEN     3853/named
tcp        0      0 myserver.mydomain.ext:mysql myserver.mydomain.ext:38148 TIME_WAIT  -
I'd really appreciate suggestions or guidance here as to what I need to do to get this working.

[EDIT an hour later: NEVER MIND on this one either! -- I used dselect to remove mysql-server mysql-client and libmysqlclient12-dev and re-installed them, and this time it worked, possibly because of the above fix to /etc/hostname

Thanks!

Angus S-F
Tucson, AZ USA

P.S. might want to edit the HowTo to include the need to set /etc/hostname to the FQDN.

Last edited by angussf; 31st October 2006 at 01:02.
Sponsored Links