Old 3rd October 2006, 05:14

Default Your Server

Hi all

TT here known as tommytomato, been with linux now for 3 year's, how ever I'm not the best at linux and probley wont be, there a some things I just dont get.

Anyway who has what installed for a server , I have followed these Howtos to the letter, some work and some dont for me.

Over the past few years I've used Mandrake, White Box, Fedore Core,1,2,3,4 and now 5 as a duel boot to XP, Trutix, and now Tinysofa 2.0 Ceara as my main server that host my domain.

My domain now runs on a tinysofa system, but I'm hanging to install and run a pair of Debian server's. one for my web site it self with a hand full of subdomains and the other for a email server.

All I have is one router and a switch with 2 PC tower's

who uses a command line server or a GUI server, which is the better of the two, is Debian GUI good to use or do you stick with a debain command line server.

after reading these howtos i'm ready to take another step towards a better system.

were would you start to building your system, is it better to run the lot on one PC and use the other box as a back up system using raid

lots of Q's to be asked but this will do for now.

TT
Sponsored Links
Old 4th October 2006, 17:28
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytomato
who uses a command line server or a GUI server, which is the better of the two, is Debian GUI good to use or do you stick with a debain command line server.
You should never install a GUI on a server as it eats up more resources and makes your server more vulnerable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytomato
were would you start to building your system, is it better to run the lot on one PC and use the other box as a back up system using raid
It depends on what you want to do. If you just want to host a few web sites with email, it makes sense to install everything on one system. But if you have a large web site, for example, you can have one box serving the web pages, another box for the MySQL database, a third one for email, etc.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: